Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Knotch in Beam Part 2

On Mar 19, 11:34 pm, "DebraG" wrote:
Oh wow, what great answers.

Ok, I get the idea! No notch in beam! So, if y'all don't mind,
here's a follow up question:

I can easily take 3 1/2 inches off the bottom of the cabinet, but that
will leave the cabinet only about 1.5 inches below the beam.

Or, I can take the top and top trim off the cabinet, cut the cabinet
down several inches, replace the top and trim, move the little wooden
shelf holders down a bit, use a bit of wood filler, touchup paint and
re-"distress". Then the cabinet will be more like 5+ inches below
the beam. Do you think 1.5 inch below the beam would look too dumb or
ok? If you think that would look dumb, how many inches below the beam
do you think is best? Again, the beam comes down 10" from the ceiling
and the cabinet is 8' tall.

Thanks!

Debra

Ultimately you will have to decide what looks best to you. About
removing material at the bottom -- kitchen cabinets, bookcases, etc.
almost always have some space at the bottom, so that the first shelf,
door, etc. is 3 or 4 inches up off the floor. There are reasons for
that -- the lowest few inches get banged into alot by feet, vacuum
cleaner, mop, etc. Plus, it usually looks better that way. In kitchen
base cabinets the toe-kick is usually recessed a little, which lets
you work at the counter without stubbing your toe on the cabinet. So
maybe taking a little off the top (carpenter, or barber will do) is
better. -- H