Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof Ridge Vent And Attic Soffett "Channels" (raft-r-mate, etc.)

Hello:

Have been looking into whether we want, or need, a ridge vent to be
installed when we get a new roofing job. Anyway, we noticed that the
insullation in the attic has, over the years, crept over the soffett
ventillation holes, thus making them probably useless.

It was suggested that we use those thin plastic channel pieces that go
between the roof rafters in the attic, and that then serves to channel the
air flow from the outside soffetts toward the ridge vent. These would also
stop the insullation from migrating backover the soffetts holes.

The mfg's web sites say to use the whole 4 feet up the underside of the
roof. As they are 4 feet in length, so, for our roof, would be perhaps 2/3
of the way up toward the peak.

They would also stop the insullation (once moved back) from re-migrating
over the soffett holes.

Started thinking about these channels that supposedly provide "better" attic
ventillation than just using a ridge roof vent without these channels. Two
of these channels are called Raft-R-Mate and also one by ADO Pro Vent.

I'm obviously missing something here.

Wouldn't the ventillation of the whole attic be better if these channels
Weren't used ?

I would think that you want drawn in air from the soffett (by the slight
negative pressure caused the hot air flow out the ridge vent) to mix with
the complete attic's air volume (and then out).

Not to just channel the drawn in air up and out, without any real attic air
mixing.

What am I missing here ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:50:36 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Have been looking into whether we want, or need, a ridge vent to be
installed when we get a new roofing job. Anyway, we noticed that the
insullation in the attic has, over the years, crept over the soffett
ventillation holes, thus making them probably useless.

It was suggested that we use those thin plastic channel pieces that go
between the roof rafters in the attic, and that then serves to channel the
air flow from the outside soffetts toward the ridge vent. These would also
stop the insullation from migrating backover the soffetts holes.

The mfg's web sites say to use the whole 4 feet up the underside of the
roof. As they are 4 feet in length, so, for our roof, would be perhaps 2/3
of the way up toward the peak.

I"m not a pro, and I can't see the wind, and I don't spend enough time
in the attic to be intimately acquainted with airflows, and I've only
had one configuration anyhow, but...

This sounds a little bit like shampoo, rinse, repeat. Where "repeat"
might double sales (although it does get the hair cleaner, so it has
no body)

It seems to me that all the thing has to do is go above the
insulation, maybe 6 inches (since you're probably not going to be able
to get it all the way down to the bottom even if you tried.) So then
you would only have to buy 1/8 as much.

I believe tehre is another product out there that is only a U-shaped
piece of wire, that goes in one wire at a time to keep insulation in
batt-form out of the space between the rafters. I aassume that no one
uses more than one or two per space.

I guess one question to ask oneself, If I could well circulate the air
that is immediately below the roof (in these channels they sell),
would the air in the middle of the attic get hot.

Well, the answer might be No if the channels went all the way to the
top, , but won't the bottom of the roof radiate heat into the entire
attic everywhere the channels aren't?** Doesn't that even include the
rafters themselves? Doesn't all that radiate heat? Let's see what
others say.

**In your case, the top two feet. But wait a second: If 4 foot
channels go 2/3rds of the way to the top, are you saying your hole
house is only 6 feet, times 2, from front to the back, or side to
side? Only 12 feet? Is a number wrong somewhere?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

Oops

Not too good with the math, I guess.

You're right, of course.

Just have the typical roof pitch for a typical 3 bedroom split.

Bob