oldie

Default "a new pcb costs £290 mate"

My pal's boiler is faulty. I've checked it out. No spark. Thermo couple
OK. Solenoid OK. The Plessey pcb/electronic Ignition generator has a
1micfarad capacitor, is this the most likely problem with this lack of
spark? Thanks.

Lobster

oldie wrote:
My pal's boiler is faulty. I've checked it out. No spark. Thermo couple
OK. Solenoid OK. The Plessey pcb/electronic Ignition generator has a
1micfarad capacitor, is this the most likely problem with this lack of
spark? Thanks.

Contact Geoff at http://www.cetltd.co.uk/ (he's a regular on this ng)
John

"oldie" wrote in message
oups.com...
My pal's boiler is faulty. I've checked it out. No spark. Thermo couple
OK. Solenoid OK. The Plessey pcb/electronic Ignition generator has a
1micfarad capacitor, is this the most likely problem with this lack of
spark? Thanks.

Since you omit to give any useful information we can't give a useful answer!
For what its worth you might compare your question to "my car won't go - it
has Dunlop pneumatic tyres, is a flat tyre the most likely problem?"

A more direct answer would be - most probably not - unless you have signs of
physical damage.

Doctor Drivel

"oldie" wrote in message
oups.com...
My pal's boiler is faulty. I've checked it out. No spark. Thermo couple
OK. Solenoid OK. The Plessey pcb/electronic Ignition generator has a
1micfarad capacitor, is this the most likely problem with this lack of
spark? Thanks.

What boiler? Make and model.

Dark Angel

"oldie" wrote in message ...
My pal's boiler is faulty. I've checked it out. No spark. Thermo couple
OK. Solenoid OK. The Plessey pcb/electronic Ignition generator has a
1micfarad capacitor, is this the most likely problem with this lack of
spark? Thanks.

I got a reconditioned one from Geoff at http://www.cetltd.co.uk/, who also
posts in this group. Cost me les than £100.

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

raden

In message , Dark
Angel writes

"oldie" wrote in message ...
My pal's boiler is faulty. I've checked it out. No spark. Thermo couple
OK. Solenoid OK. The Plessey pcb/electronic Ignition generator has a
1micfarad capacitor, is this the most likely problem with this lack of
spark? Thanks.

I got a reconditioned one from Geoff at http://www.cetltd.co.uk/, who also
posts in this group. Cost me les than £100.

Wasn't it a Suprima ?

£50 ++

Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie
My pal's boiler is faulty. I've checked it out. No spark. Thermo couple
OK. Solenoid OK. The Plessey pcb/electronic Ignition generator has a
1micfarad capacitor, is this the most likely problem with this lack of
spark? Thanks.

I would not recommend attempting to repair a pcb on any gas boiler as it is illegal
Bill

In message , gastec
writes
I would not recommend attempting to repair a pcb on any gas boiler as
it is illegal

Why?

--
Bill
raden

In message , gastec
writes

oldie Wrote:
My pal's boiler is faulty. I've checked it out. No spark. Thermo

couple
OK. Solenoid OK. The Plessey pcb/electronic Ignition generator has a
1micfarad capacitor, is this the most likely problem with this lack
of

spark? Thanks.

I would not recommend attempting to repair a pcb on any gas boiler as
it is illegal

No it's not,

If you don't know what you're talking about, then it's best not saying
it

although I wouldn't recommend anyone trying it if they don't know what
they're doing

--
geoff
raden

In message , Bill
writes
In message , gastec
writes
I would not recommend attempting to repair a pcb on any gas boiler as
it is illegal

Why?

We'll get the "It's illegal for you to work on your boiler" in a minute,
won't we

--
geoff

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
raden writes:
In message , Bill
writes
In message , gastec
writes
I would not recommend attempting to repair a pcb on any gas boiler as
it is illegal

Why?

We'll get the "It's illegal for you to work on your boiler" in a minute,
won't we

Actually, he said that on Friday, twice.
The regulars here seem to have got fed up with correcting it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
raden

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
raden writes:
In message , Bill
writes
In message , gastec
writes
I would not recommend attempting to repair a pcb on any gas boiler as
it is illegal

Why?

We'll get the "It's illegal for you to work on your boiler" in a minute,
won't we

Actually, he said that on Friday, twice.
The regulars here seem to have got fed up with correcting it.

Sorry, I've got a bit behind with threads

--
geoff
Dark Angel

"raden" wrote in message ...
Wasn't it a Suprima ?
£50 ++

That's the one!

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
"Dark Angel's Realm of Horror" - http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk
"Realm of Horror Radio" - http://www.live365.com/stations/313834

oldie

Thanks Geoff.

oldie

Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the replies.
Dr Drivel-- It's a potterton boiler. To repeat The solenoid is ok. I
took the boiler interconnecting wires apart replaced them and DID see
one spark. After that nothing. As the pcb on the 'generator has an
electrolytic capacitor I looked for the most obvious anwer.
My friend has emphysema and little money hence myattempt at repair.

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember gastec
saying something like:

Just **** off.
--

Dave

Building costs Gideon Home Repair 0 October 16th 05 10:32 PM
Results of structural survey and possible costs - any advice appreciated! Tigs UK diy 10 August 7th 05 01:12 PM
Rebuilding costs Lobster UK diy 5 October 9th 04 11:35 AM
Reducing closing costs: Seller Concessions, point write-off? Matt Home Ownership 0 February 1st 04 12:47 AM
Help!!! which mortgage bank gives load including closing costs when buying a new home? Santa Home Ownership 0 July 6th 03 05:29 AM