Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof Ridge Vent Question

Hello:

Live in New England, and have the typical split level.

Attic has those louvred attic vents in each side of the house providing
direct ventillation to the attic.
They seem to be of pretty decent size, not those really small ones you see
sometimes.
Attic is quite cold in winter.

Will be having a new roofing job.

Some of the roofers who have come in for estimates say that if the attic is
cold in the winter, these side vents are working to provide enough air flow
and that you do not need a Ridge-Vent.

Others say that you "also" need a Ridge Vent.

Frankly, installing a roof ridge vent makes me a bit uneasy, as we get a lot
of snow and rain up here, and I guess I am a bit concerned about any, no
matter how small the amount, of it getting into the attic via a ridge roof
vent, and hence possibly to the insullation on the attic floor.

Would sure appreciate any thoughts on.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm in Michigan, and have the same, 2 gable vents and a ridge vent, no
leaks,
I'd be more worried about the quality of the installation than the actual
ridge vent itself.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 9:38 am, "Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

I'd go with a ridge vent too. They are widely used. Just about all
new construction here in NJ has them. If snow/rain were a significant
problem, I think it would be known by now. A ridge vent provides
uniform venting across most of the attic, as opposed to gable vents.
You want air rising from the soffits across the whole attic, then
exiting.

There are two theories regarding what to do with the existing gable
vents. Many say to block them off, based on the idea that air will
short circuit. By that, I mean it will come in the gables and go out
the ridge, providing little cooling. The other theory is that hot air
rises and will rise from the soffit vents and make it's way out both
the gables and ridge. Personally, I think the latter is probably
more likely correct. I've seen lots of opinions on this, but no
actual test data, which should be fairly easy to measure.

Don't forget to make sure there is adequate soffit venting. And
verfiy that it is not blocked by insulation. If it is, there are
plastic baffles available that you can staple to the underside of the
roof to keep it open.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

There are no hard fast rules other than you do want to meet local
building codes.

If what you have is working, it likely would continue to work. What I
would do, and have done, is to add the ridge vents IF I had sufficient
soffit vents. Frankly if I did not have enough soffit vents, I think I
would add them. The extra cost of ridge vents is minimal. Adding them to
an existing roof with no other work is expensive. I would do it while you
have the chance.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:25:29 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

[...]

If you're not currently experiencing any problems with the
venting, then you don't need to change anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

venting, then you don't need to change anything. *- Hide quoted text -

The real test is a hot summer sun.

Is the attic more than 15 degrees warmer than the outside? ridge
venting allows heat escape at the ridge, where its need the most.

Ridge vents dont cause troubles, I would add them at re roof.

lower attic temps less AC needed in living space, longer roof life.

No downsides for ridghe vents, I have had them on 2 homes NEVER caused
a problem!

Ridge vents also keep moisture levels low in attic in winter so
insulation works better

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

imho:

I believe for ridge vents to properly function, keeping roof sheathing
cool, you need an equal amount of air inflow from the soffets. The
lowest part of attic space. Also, no options for air flow to bypass
areas, which means gable vents need to be blocked.

This is what my roofer told me, gables or ridge, not both.

tom @ www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

tom @ *www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com- Hide quoted text -

Well in our case no soffit vents possible, gable and ridge works well,
WAY better than gable only.

So they can work together.

We have NO soffits for soffit vents to be in

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Most importantly in many places is to remove the covering of plant
life which can make even your current soffits very unuseful. After 15
years, I found a layer almost as thick as the lint on my dryer screen.
Must have made the soffits less than 50% effective. It came off with
a brush, as a thin sheet.

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:12:18 -0500, Just Joshin
wrote:
imho:I believe for ridge vents to properly function, keeping roof sheathing
cool, you need an equal amount of air inflow from the soffets. The

To properly function, I agree.

But assuming an indadquate amount of soffits, I can't help thinking
that there will still be more ventilation with a ridge vent than
without one.

Sort of like there is more current in a series circuit with a 10 ohm
and a 5 ohm resistor, than there is with a 10 ohm and a 20 ohm
resistor. The 10 ohm represents the soffits, the 5 ohm the ridge vent
and gables, and the 20 ohm only the gables. (With enough lint on the
soffit, I'd make them 20 or 30 ohms.)

lowest part of attic space. Also, no options for air flow to bypass
areas, which means gable vents need to be blocked.

This is what my roofer told me, gables or ridge, not both.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 7 Mar 2007 19:36:24 -0800, "
wrote:

We have NO soffits for soffit vents to be in

That's sad. Someone should contact the Christian Soffits Fund.
Homeless soffit vents should be helped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

cool, you need an equal amount of air inflow from the soffets. he
lowest part of attic space.

lso, no options for air flow to bypass
areas, which means gable vents need to be blocked.

This is what my roofer told me, gables or ridge, not both.

tom @ www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com - Hide quoted text -

Well in our case no soffit vents possible, gable and ridge works well,
WAY better than gable only.

So they can work together.

We have NO soffits for soffit vents to be in

Guess then you might want to talk to a roofer about power venting too.

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:30:55 -0500, Just Joshin
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Why? Given that he isn't reporting any problems with the
roof as it is, the only reason for changing it would be
to conform with the new religion of orthodox roof-ventology.

Did the old roof expire 5 years early? If it didn't, then
the current arrangement is perfectly adequate.
--Goedjn

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:58:36 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:30:55 -0500, Just Joshin
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have learned when someone raises an issue, or is thinking about
upgrading, there might be a larger underlining problem. This is why I
believe that having a professional involved could be a good thing.
Maybe more ventilation is needed, from some roofer's options, so
rather than adding a ridge vent, maybe having a small fan at one gable
end is a better choice than breaking the integrity of the roof.

Just a guess....

tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

Extra ventilation can do no harm provided its properly installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 3:02 pm, " wrote:
Extra ventilation can do no harm provided its properly installed.

I seriously doubt any attic is going to be well ventilated during a
hot summer with only two gable vents. That means the attic will get
hotter and the heat will stay there longer, which means A/C will
consume more energy and it can also affect the life of the shingles
and sheathing. I see no downside to putting in a ridge vent while
doing new shingles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

get rid of the gable vents! and absolutley install the ridge vent, it will
work much better and the gable vents will interfere with the natural
convection of the ridge vent. the ridge vent will not leak if installed
properly. i have installed them on a two pitch over cedar shake roof with no
leaks

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 2:17�am, "steve" wrote:
get rid of the gable vents! *and absolutley install the ridge vent, it will
work much better and the gable vents will interfere with the natural
convection of the ridge vent. *the ridge vent will not leak if installed
properly. i have installed them on a two pitch over cedar shake roof with no
leaks

"Robert11" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

Add ridge vent leave the gable end vents then this summer when its
HOT, try covering the gable vents from inside.

Compare attic temps both ways and leave them whichever is best,
coolest

simple easy solution

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message

[...]

simple easy solution- Hide quoted text -

That's an interesting idea. To get any reasonable data, he's have to
measure it either on days with identical temps, sun and wind.
Doubt you could get good data on one day, by changing it for an hour
or two, because the attic/roof will be warming up as the day goes on.

I'm surprised no one has actually done this as a real test. Would be
easy to do and would help settle the debate. If they have, I've never
seen it. I tend to favor the idea that hot air rises, more
ventilation is better, and leaving the gables open is fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 07:17:17 GMT, "steve"
wrote:

get rid of the gable vents! and absolutley install the ridge vent, it will
work much better and the gable vents will interfere with the natural
convection of the ridge vent. the ridge vent will not leak if installed
properly. i have installed them on a two pitch over cedar shake roof with no
leaks

The OP said something about no soffets, and no soffet vents.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info