Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I notch a beam?

I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8
feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!

Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So,
something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
maybe I could just notch the beam?

A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is
11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load
bearing wall 10 years ago) or

B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the
cabinet or is that ever done?

Thanks for the help!

Debra

Posted to alt.home.repair

DebraG wrote:
I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8
feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!

Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So,
something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
maybe I could just notch the beam?

A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is
11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load
bearing wall 10 years ago) or

B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the
cabinet or is that ever done?

You can not notch the beam. Reducing the height of a beam by two
inches can cut it's strength in half - easy. You'd then have to deal
with cracked walls, stuck doors and other, potentially far worse
consequences.

Time for Plan B - not your B above as that would look mighty odd.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, DebraG
says...

I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8
feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!

Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So,
something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
maybe I could just notch the beam?

A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is
11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load
bearing wall 10 years ago) or

B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the
cabinet or is that ever done?

Thanks for the help!

Debra

::amazed::

You get something too big for your house, and you solution is to cut into the
structure of your house...

Cut the cabinet down. Or sell it.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

pssst pssst. turn the cabinet 90 degrees and put it on the other wall.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:
www.lightsout.org

"DebraG" wrote in message
ups.com...
I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8
feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!

Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So,
something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
maybe I could just notch the beam?

A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is
11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load
bearing wall 10 years ago) or

B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the
cabinet or is that ever done?

Thanks for the help!

Debra

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DebraG" wrote in message
ups.com...
I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8
feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!

Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So,
something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
maybe I could just notch the beam?

A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is
11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load
bearing wall 10 years ago) or

B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the
cabinet or is that ever done?

Thanks for the help!

Debra

If this is on the ground floor of a 2 story house I might not do it. How
thick is the "beam" ? Personally I would notch out the cabinet and run the
beam through it as long as it doesn't interfere too much with doors. Stupid
? Nope - it will probably be a neat topic of converstaion with visiters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

You can not notch the beam. Reducing the height of a beam by two
inches can cut it's strength in half ...

Not necesarily. That depends on the notch location, inter alia.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 2:53 pm, "DebraG" wrote:
I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8
feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!

Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So,
something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
maybe I could just notch the beam?

A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is
11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load
bearing wall 10 years ago) or

B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the
cabinet or is that ever done?

Thanks for the help!

Debra

The beam is load bearing, so before notching it you would have to
either have an engineer evaluate it or read up on beam capacity and be
pretty darn sure its OK. Trimming the cabinet is probably better.
Trimming the top might be preferable since that space way up there is
kinda less useful anyway. You could cut off just enough to make it
fit, or cut off another foot or foot-and-a-half and use the top as a
shelf to put seldom-used or decorative objects (i.e. things on the
cabinet rather than in it). Or you might be able to trim the bottom
of the cabinet instead of the top: does it stand on legs, or have a
skirt or toe-kick at the bottom? -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 19 Mar 2007 12:53:40 -0700, "DebraG" wrote:

I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8
feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!

Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So,
something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
maybe I could just notch the beam?

Why not just notch the cabinet? It's distressed already. How much
more upset could it get?

A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is
11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load
bearing wall 10 years ago) or

B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the
cabinet or is that ever done?

No. If anyone asks, tell them it was built that way. In place. By
the master furniture maker Fiorentini.

Thanks for the help!

If you notch the beam, just imagine how it will look when you remove
the cabinet. Or when a possible buyer envisions removing it.

You'll have to leave the cabinet, but he might not want it.

Debra

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
maybe I could just notch the beam?

Knock a hole in the floor. It will match the hole in your head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DebraG" wrote in message
ups.com...

maybe I could just notch the beam?

This is a horribly bad idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DebraG wrote:
I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8
feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!

Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So,
something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
maybe I could just notch the beam?

A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is
11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load
bearing wall 10 years ago) or

B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the
cabinet or is that ever done?

Thanks for the help!

Debra

I like Steve's advice. Other than that, you need a structural engineer
to check it out. Anything else is a risk, a bigger risk than I would take.
It is possible to do what you want, but it may mean reinforcing the beam.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
If you notch the beam, just imagine how it will look when you remove
the cabinet. Or when a possible buyer envisions removing it.

You'll have to leave the cabinet, but he might not want it.

Debra

Imagine how silly it will look with a sag in the floor above it.

Put it upstairs and cut a hole in the roof for it instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:36:43 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

DebraG wrote:
I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8
feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!

Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So,
something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
maybe I could just notch the beam?

A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is
11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load
bearing wall 10 years ago) or

B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the
cabinet or is that ever done?

Thanks for the help!

Debra

I like Steve's advice. Other than that, you need a structural engineer
to check it out. Anything else is a risk, a bigger risk than I would take.
It is possible to do what you want, but it may mean reinforcing the beam.

Maybe the beam could be held up with a wood cabinet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
pssst pssst. turn the cabinet 90 degrees and put it on the other wall.

The cabinet is 8' by 8'. If you turn if 90 degrees it will still be
8' tall!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Mar 2007 12:53:40 -0700, "DebraG" wrote:

I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8
feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!

Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So,
something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
maybe I could just notch the beam?

A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is
11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load
bearing wall 10 years ago) or

B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the
cabinet or is that ever done?

Thanks for the help!

Debra

Oh my. The only advice you should accept from a newsgroup is to get
a structural engineer to take a peak. The solutoin might be as easy
as sistering, however get an expert. The cost of an inspection, will
be cheaper than a later massive repair.

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:15:48 -0400, Just Joshin
wrote:

[...]

I dunno, I think: "****, no, you can't notch the beam"
is a perfectly good answer. Cut down the cabinet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Which peak? Everest? Matterhorn?

I'm with you -- see if you can find a structural engineer to come
out and examine the situation.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Just Joshin" wrote in message
:
:
: Oh my. The only advice you should accept from a newsgroup is
to get
: a structural engineer to take a peak. The solutoin might be as
easy
: as sistering, however get an expert. The cost of an
inspection, will
: be cheaper than a later massive repair.
:
: later,
:
: tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"DebraG" wrote in message
ups.com...
|I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8
| feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!
|
| Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So,
| something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
| maybe I could just notch the beam?
|
| A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is
| 11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load
| bearing wall 10 years ago) or
|
| B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the
| cabinet or is that ever done?
|

| Thanks for the help!
|
| Debra

cut down (rip) the toe kick part of the cabinet (not the top)
and never cut or notch a beam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Paying them good money, I want solutions not more problems.

later,

tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd cut the beat and shove the cabinet nice and tight. Make it
stucturally part of the house. When you sell the house make sure
to leave them the cabinet as a good will jesture...

On Mar 19, 3:53 pm, "DebraG" wrote:
I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8
feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!

Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So,
something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking
maybe I could just notch the beam?

A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is
11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load
bearing wall 10 years ago) or

B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the
cabinet or is that ever done?

Thanks for the help!

Debra

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Steve Barker wrote:
pssst pssst. turn the cabinet 90 degrees and put it on the other wall.

The cabinet is 8' by 8'. If you turn if 90 degrees it will still be
8' tall!

You know what he meant- put it on the wall parallel to the beam, not the
wall it intersects.

aem sends....