Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Window shutters

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:16:49 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Right now my windows have those premade slatted window shutters that nail on
to the siding. I hate the ones that are on there right now, they aren't
proportional to the window size and attract wasp nests like magnets.

Why will real shutters attact fewer wasps?

I don't really like the phony ones either, especially as you say, when
they aren't wide enough to shutter anything. But I try to ignore all
that and consider them decorative. It's something like the gold braid
on one shoulder of fancy uniforms: It once had a function.

So I'm looking at replacing them with functional (not that I'd actually use
them mind you - unless there are legitimate reasons to do so) cedar
shutters.

So here is my question, my windows are 72" wide, 48" tall, which means the
shutters would have to be ~35"x50" each. If I had those on the side of my

About 37 inches wide.

house, attached using hinges and eye hooks would they look way out of
proportion to the rest of the house or am I too used to seeing the skinny
premades already on? Another question, assuming I want to actually use them

This is the kind of question I've been known to ask, if not here,
friends. Something like, Would I be happy if I married that girl?

And you don't include a picture of your house. I'll say this, if like
someone I know, you have a series of 72" windows with 6 inches between
them, you won't like the look of shutters.

( we get high winds here in Seattle where I live ) what would be the
appropriate way to secure the hinges to the window frame? I'm envisioning
using long screws into the window framing but is that necessary or are there

I don't think they go into the window frrames. I think you should
find some real shutters and look at them.

We had real shutter until I was ten. I don't remember remembering
details from then, but I've to others and I've seen the shutters
attached to the mortar on the face of the brick house.

Knock on the door and ask the owners if you can measure the windows,
the shutters. There may be a good reason not to, but if not, thye'll
probably say yes.

better ways? The siding frame around the windows is basically cedar
strips - nothing structural.

Basically my design that I have in my head is 9 or 10 1x4 cedar planks
secured to 2 1x3 cedar arms, with hinges on each arm. Nice straightforward

You keep saying hinges. I've only seen heavy duty eyes and hooks for
hinges.

Of course, your style of shutter has to go with your style of house.

simple design. An eyehook on the last plank would secure the shutter to the
siding or each other when closed.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:30:30 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Six food wide windows weren't exactlycommon back when shutters were a
practical necessity.

Hmmm. Even though I noticed the width, I missed it too.

I have no artistic or architectural talent, except sometimes to say
what I don't like.

Make a to-scale drawing, complete with new shutters, and look at it a
lot over time. Maybe that will help.

There might be a rew rich people from 250 years ago with wide
shuttered windows, but I'm not sure. I tour a lot of homes, from the
Missippi to the Atlantic, from the south to the north, but especially
the northeast, from that period and they have some unexpected luxuries
in many, but I can't specifically remember wide windows and if I
could, I wouldn't remember shutters.

Where do you live OP. Can you find some homes with tour guides to
discuss this with. They usually know far more than they say in their
tours. Or books on architectrure of the period. They usually have
pictures. Or possibly google, but I think a reallife architectural
historian. If they guides don't know about houses other than their
own, the curators of the houses might.

But, the next time I have my house painted I think I'll have the
shutters put back with the angle of the slats sloped in the proper
direction. All the ones I see which are just onto the house are "upside
down" to the way they would be oriented if they were hinged and could be
closed over the windows.

Maybe those people have sliding shutters! :-)

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

I'd suspect they'd look "too wide" even though they'd be the correct
functional width.

Six food wide windows weren't exactlycommon back when shutters were a
practical necessity.

I did live in a house about 30 years ago with functional shutters, but I
can't say I've noticed too many like those lately.

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Whatever you say.

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:21:51 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Well I posted I was in Seattle, although shutters seem to be a pretty
universal feature across the world. I'll grant you that a 72" wide window
is NOT however.

Shutters don't really serve a useful purpose that I've seen, but they keep
the sun out of the room, and keep the snow from piling up against the window
pane. But that's stretching it. Really I'm more interested in a exterior
window dressing - but those windows are just humongous!

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...size/front.JPG

I guess I'm just scrounging for ideas now. I really don't like those
shutters

But, the next time I have my house painted I think I'll have the
shutters put back with the angle of the slats sloped in the proper
direction. All the ones I see which are just onto the house are "upside
down" to the way they would be oriented if they were hinged and could be
closed over the windows.

Maybe those people have sliding shutters! :-)

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
Right now my windows have those premade slatted window shutters that nail
on to the siding. I hate the ones that are on there right now, they
aren't proportional to the window size and attract wasp nests like
magnets.

So I'm looking at replacing them with functional (not that I'd actually
use them mind you - unless there are legitimate reasons to do so) cedar
shutters.

So here is my question, my windows are 72" wide, 48" tall, which means
the shutters would have to be ~35"x50" each. If I had those on the side
of my house, attached using hinges and eye hooks would they look way out
of proportion to the rest of the house or am I too used to seeing the
skinny premades already on? Another question, assuming I want to
actually use them ( we get high winds here in Seattle where I live ) what
would be the appropriate way to secure the hinges to the window frame?
I'm envisioning using long screws into the window framing but is that
necessary or are there better ways? The siding frame around the windows
is basically cedar strips - nothing structural.

Basically my design that I have in my head is 9 or 10 1x4 cedar planks
secured to 2 1x3 cedar arms, with hinges on each arm. Nice
straightforward simple design. An eyehook on the last plank would secure
the shutter to the siding or each other when closed.

I'd suspect they'd look "too wide" even though they'd be the correct
functional width.

Six food wide windows weren't exactlycommon back when shutters were a
practical necessity.

I did live in a house about 30 years ago with functional shutters, but I
can't say I've noticed too many like those lately.

But, the next time I have my house painted I think I'll have the shutters
put back with the angle of the slats sloped in the proper direction. All
the ones I see which are just onto the house are "upside down" to the way
they would be oriented if they were hinged and could be closed over the
windows.

Jeff

I was wondering about that, 3 feet is pretty wide. I could always accordian
the shutter at 18" or something but if I'm gonna do that I might as well
keep those crappy slatted shutters on.

I think the basic problem is that my windows are rather large in proportion
to the side of my otherwise flat and featureless house facing. The standard
slatted shutters don't look right because they are way too short for the
window and draw attention to it rather than blend it into the architecture.
But a larger shutter might, as you suggest, look out of place.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Right now my windows have those premade slatted window shutters that nail
on
to the siding. I hate the ones that are on there right now, they aren't
proportional to the window size and attract wasp nests like magnets.

Why will real shutters attact fewer wasps?

Yes I believe so. The slatted style gives those buggers a place to crawl
into to hide behind. With fence style shutters the wasps would only have
the sides to get into and making a nest would be a little less obvious. Of
course I could be fooling myself here, after all I get wasp nests in my
mailbox (*******s).

[...]

How would the shutter swing shut? They would have hooks on the ends to
attach them to the siding and each other, but wouldn't a hinge be necessary
to open and close them?

Of course, your style of shutter has to go with your style of house.

simple design. An eyehook on the last plank would secure the shutter to
the
siding or each other when closed.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

Right now my windows have those premade slatted window shutters that
nail on to the siding. I hate the ones that are on there right now,
they aren't proportional to the window size and attract wasp nests
like magnets.

So I'm looking at replacing them with functional (not that I'd
actually use them mind you - unless there are legitimate reasons to do
so) cedar shutters.

So here is my question, my windows are 72" wide, 48" tall, which means
the shutters would have to be ~35"x50" each. If I had those on the
side of my house, attached using hinges and eye hooks would they look
way out of proportion to the rest of the house or am I too used to
seeing the skinny premades already on? Another question, assuming I
want to actually use them ( we get high winds here in Seattle where I
live ) what would be the appropriate way to secure the hinges to the
window frame? I'm envisioning using long screws into the window
framing but is that necessary or are there better ways? The siding
frame around the windows is basically cedar strips - nothing
structural.

Basically my design that I have in my head is 9 or 10 1x4 cedar planks
secured to 2 1x3 cedar arms, with hinges on each arm. Nice
straightforward simple design. An eyehook on the last plank would
secure the shutter to the siding or each other when closed.

Go look at French or Italian houses. The customarily have thck walls,
inset windows, shutters that hinge, so 2 sets of double-hinged panels (4
panels/window) are needed to cover the window. The use? prevent the hot
midday air from entering the house, or the cold middle of the night air.

Granted you house doe not look like the inner city houses in Florence,
but that is a different question.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

[...]

What am I missing here? Isn't that what the window glass is supposed to do?

I thought shutters allowed you to keep the windows open for ventilation
and the angle of the slats kept rain out and sunshine and breezes too.

Jeff

snipped
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

I thought shutters allowed you to keep the windows open for ventilation
and the angle of the slats kept rain out and sunshine and breezes too.

Around here they are called properly "storm shutters", the operative word
being obvious.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Right now my windows have those premade slatted window shutters that nail
on
to the siding. I hate the ones that are on there right now, they aren't
proportional to the window size and attract wasp nests like magnets.

Why will real shutters attact fewer wasps?

Yes I believe so. The slatted style gives those buggers a place to crawl
into to hide behind. With fence style shutters the wasps would only have
the sides to get into and making a nest would be a little less obvious. Of
course I could be fooling myself here, after all I get wasp nests in my
mailbox (*******s).

Drop a Shell No-Pest strip in there. Problem solved.

Is a drop down shutter a possibility? (Awning most of the time ...
shutter when needed.) Louvers on that style are exposed to flow-through
all the time ... not really as dry as wasps would prefer.

Bill

is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

http://nmwoodworks.com\cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000727-0, 03/22/2007
Tested on: 3/23/2007 1:08:42 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

An awning not a bad idea. It would keep out the sun in the Summer.

Window shutters mm Woodworking 12 March 24th 07 01:07 AM
Concealed insulating window shutters. Ian Stirling UK diy 6 November 27th 06 11:18 PM
Plantation shutters? tiny dancer Woodworking 2 November 28th 05 08:48 AM
Shutters ClaudCar Home Ownership 0 March 29th 05 09:30 PM
interior window shutters Newshound Woodworking 8 March 4th 05 04:48 PM