Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Window shutters

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
Right now my windows have those premade slatted window shutters that nail
on to the siding. I hate the ones that are on there right now, they
aren't proportional to the window size and attract wasp nests like
magnets.

So I'm looking at replacing them with functional (not that I'd actually
use them mind you - unless there are legitimate reasons to do so) cedar
shutters.

So here is my question, my windows are 72" wide, 48" tall, which means
the shutters would have to be ~35"x50" each. If I had those on the side
of my house, attached using hinges and eye hooks would they look way out
of proportion to the rest of the house or am I too used to seeing the
skinny premades already on? Another question, assuming I want to
actually use them ( we get high winds here in Seattle where I live ) what
would be the appropriate way to secure the hinges to the window frame?
I'm envisioning using long screws into the window framing but is that
necessary or are there better ways? The siding frame around the windows
is basically cedar strips - nothing structural.

Basically my design that I have in my head is 9 or 10 1x4 cedar planks
secured to 2 1x3 cedar arms, with hinges on each arm. Nice
straightforward simple design. An eyehook on the last plank would secure
the shutter to the siding or each other when closed.

I'd suspect they'd look "too wide" even though they'd be the correct
functional width.

Six food wide windows weren't exactlycommon back when shutters were a
practical necessity.

I did live in a house about 30 years ago with functional shutters, but I
can't say I've noticed too many like those lately.

But, the next time I have my house painted I think I'll have the shutters
put back with the angle of the slats sloped in the proper direction. All
the ones I see which are just onto the house are "upside down" to the way
they would be oriented if they were hinged and could be closed over the
windows.

Jeff

I was wondering about that, 3 feet is pretty wide. I could always accordian
the shutter at 18" or something but if I'm gonna do that I might as well
keep those crappy slatted shutters on.

I think the basic problem is that my windows are rather large in proportion
to the side of my otherwise flat and featureless house facing. The standard
slatted shutters don't look right because they are way too short for the
window and draw attention to it rather than blend it into the architecture.
But a larger shutter might, as you suggest, look out of place.