Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moisture damage and mold

I have had some past moisture seepage from upstairs bathrooms into the
sub floor. The leaks have been fixed long time ago bu the previous
owner, but due to the presumably long term exposure in the past, some
small areas of the sub floor (plywood) have turned black. This is
mostly in the spots like around pipe holes where the water was seeping
through the sub flooring. Is it possible that some of this black damaged
(slightly rotten??)wood is also moldy? There are no lighter gray areas
that I have previously learned to associate with mold. What is the right
thing to do about this type of moisture damage? I can see it from the
underside, but if I need to replace the damaged spots in the sub
flooring I will have to tear open floor in the bathroom.

I may be putting my house on the market in a few months, so I need to
know what level of repair I need to do to avoid potential lawsuits. I
expect that I need to remove all the material that I know is moldy, but
should I also replace all the sub floor that has turned color due to
the moisture.

Appreciate any constructive input.

Pietu
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:38:59 -0500, pietu pietu1_at_juno_dot_com
wrote:

[...]

I've seen plywood turn black, from water exposure, but it never
appeared to be mold to me. If it's dry now, I've heard mold needs
moisture, then there is no mold then right?

Might want someone to check it for you, a quick visit from a
handyperson, they can check if it's still structural.

Just a guess.....

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 12:11 am, mm wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:43:10 -0400, Just Joshin
wrote:

I've seen plywood turn black, from water exposure, but it never
appeared to be mold to me. If it's dry now, I've heard mold needs
moisture, then there is no mold then right?

I once had mold on a basement sheetrock wall. The mold died when the
room went back to its normal dryness, but the surface stayed black.

So I think there was dead mold. So what do you mean by "no mold"?
Does that include dead mold?

Might want someone to check it for you, a quick visit from a
handyperson, they can check if it's still structural.- Hide quoted text -

A good wiping with bleach and a coat of oil base paint or spray paint.
Brushing is more green friendly. This should take care of it for good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've seen plywood turn black, from water exposure, but it never
appeared to be mold to me. If it's dry now, I've heard mold needs
moisture, then there is no mold then right?

I once had mold on a basement sheetrock wall. The mold died when the
room went back to its normal dryness, but the surface stayed black.

So I think there was dead mold. So what do you mean by "no mold"?
Does that include dead mold?

Sorry meant no active/live mold producing spores and hurting anyone.

It'll be inert, I'm guessing.

Might want someone to check it for you, a quick visit from a
handyperson, they can check if it's still structural.

"not a mold expert"

tom @ www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

In most states you only have a duty to tell the potential buyers. Check
your local law and decide if a good repair is cheaper or more expensive than
the potential hit in price. Usually a discount is cheaper.

"pietu" pietu1_at_juno_dot_com wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 2:49 pm, "Art" wrote:
[...]

Pietu- Hide quoted text -

This is correct- you only have to disclose the issues you had and if
any damage is there that you know of. Black mold is very common. Toxic
mold is fuzzy and three dimensional. Any mold can make you sick if
your allergic to it. Its only the toxic molds that can cause the
severe health problems.

learn more at www.moldshield.org