Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mold damage to bathroom wall

We are in Vancouver, BC, in the Pacific Northwest of North America. We
are in a 16-year old condo.

On the lower wall behind the toilet and right next to the tub/shower,
we have mold damage, as can be seen in the picture he
http://tinyurl.com/yh3s3c

Can anyone offer some advice as to how to go about repairing it?

thank you,

Peter

http://tinyurl.com/yh3s3c

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
We are in Vancouver, BC, in the Pacific Northwest of North America. We
are in a 16-year old condo.

On the lower wall behind the toilet and right next to the tub/shower,
we have mold damage, as can be seen in the picture he
http://tinyurl.com/yh3s3c

Can anyone offer some advice as to how to go about repairing it?

I cannot be sure from your photo, but I'll guess that the tile in the shower
has grout problems and water is entering the interior wall. If that is so,
then that must be repaired first.

Then, a section of the drywall should be removed and then that area dried
out with a fan. Then, that section of drywall can be replaced. The base
moldings will also have to be removed and replaced.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it is actually not so bad. The problem is
that there is no quick fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
We are in Vancouver, BC, in the Pacific Northwest of North America. We
are in a 16-year old condo.

On the lower wall behind the toilet and right next to the tub/shower,
we have mold damage, as can be seen in the picture he
http://tinyurl.com/yh3s3c

Can anyone offer some advice as to how to go about repairing it?

thank you,

Peter

http://tinyurl.com/yh3s3c

Hi,
Living in a so called leaky condo? Before attempting the remedy
have findout why moisture is present causing the problem. Is your
bath room vented proper and sure there is no water seepage on the wall?
I am afraid to look behind the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
We are in Vancouver, BC, in the Pacific Northwest of North America. We
are in a 16-year old condo.

On the lower wall behind the toilet and right next to the tub/shower,
we have mold damage, as can be seen in the picture he
http://tinyurl.com/yh3s3c

Can anyone offer some advice as to how to go about repairing it?

As others have pointed out, you need to find where the water is coming
from that's feeding the mold. If that's the toilet on the right side
of the picture, I'd suspect that there's a leaky connection behind the
toilet. The smeared silicone caulk hints that this has been an ongoing
problem and that someone tried to deal with the symptom instead of the
cause.

Rip out the damaged drywall. Don't try to keep the hole small. Open
it up completely and remove all of the mold visible on the inside and
outside. Allow yourself plenty of room to investigate and repair.

You also need to use a chlorine bleach/water solution to wipe down all
surfaces near the mold. You must remove the mold spores and source of
moisture if you have any hope of eradicating the mold.