Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Joshin Just Joshin is offline

Default Moisture damage and mold

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:38:59 -0500, pietu pietu1_at_juno_dot_com
wrote:

I have had some past moisture seepage from upstairs bathrooms into the
sub floor. The leaks have been fixed long time ago bu the previous
owner, but due to the presumably long term exposure in the past, some
small areas of the sub floor (plywood) have turned black. This is
mostly in the spots like around pipe holes where the water was seeping
through the sub flooring. Is it possible that some of this black damaged
(slightly rotten??)wood is also moldy? There are no lighter gray areas
that I have previously learned to associate with mold. What is the right
thing to do about this type of moisture damage? I can see it from the
underside, but if I need to replace the damaged spots in the sub
flooring I will have to tear open floor in the bathroom.

I may be putting my house on the market in a few months, so I need to
know what level of repair I need to do to avoid potential lawsuits. I
expect that I need to remove all the material that I know is moldy, but
should I also replace all the sub floor that has turned color due to
the moisture.

Appreciate any constructive input.

Pietu

I've seen plywood turn black, from water exposure, but it never
appeared to be mold to me. If it's dry now, I've heard mold needs
moisture, then there is no mold then right?

Might want someone to check it for you, a quick visit from a
handyperson, they can check if it's still structural.

Just a guess.....

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com