Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.religion.kibology,misc.consumers.house
Ook Ook is offline

Default What kind of container can I safely mix gas and oil for my snowblower

On 2007-03-16, Ook wrote:

Glass is an extremely bad idea. People win Darwin awards for storing
gasoline in glass jars.

Never store gasoline in anything not specifically made for it. People win
Darwin awards for doing that also.

What about glass jars labelled "Suitable for gasoline"?

I don't think there is such a thing. And if there was, I would not use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.religion.kibology,misc.consumers.house

[fumirudinous snips]

No cluons were harmed when Ook wrote:
I don't think there is such a thing. And if there was, I would not use
it.

Would you, could you with a fox?

Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.religion.kibology,misc.consumers.house

On 2007-03-16, Ook wrote:

Glass is an extremely bad idea. People win Darwin awards for storing
gasoline in glass jars.

Never store gasoline in anything not specifically made for it. People win
Darwin awards for doing that also.

What about glass jars labelled "Suitable for gasoline"?

I don't think there is such a thing. And if there was, I would not use it.

Spoilsport.

Post .gif of self not using it!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

That's what a lot of weedeating crews will carry it in when they're going to
be far from the truck.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:
www.lightsout.org

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 16, 3:36 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
Surely, you've gone and purchased a gas can by now. Your lack of
replying
indicates you must be out snowblowing. With all that said, I've kept a
gallon of mix gas in the shop I work in for years in a gallon bottle
windshield washer comes in. We mix our own methanol blue water, and keep
jugs from the store bought kind.

--
Steve Barker

I ran across a gas/oil mix in a pint gatorade bottle (without a lable
for you safety folks) that was at least 3 years old. Gas was no good
but the bottle was fine.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

It's not officially legal, but the best substitute I've found for
a gasoline can is a windshield washer fluid jug. Rinse it out
with water, and leave it over night propped upside down to get as
much water as possible out. Should only be a trace of humidity in
the jug in the AM.

Please remove the washer fluid label, and mark the jug with a
wide point permanant marker as to the contents.

Washer fluid jugs also will hold kerosene.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
: Gosh darn it!
: I purchased and had delivered a new snow blower and we're due
to have a
: storm overnight tonight and into tomorrow. I went to
Sears/Kmart looking
: for a gas can (really plastic) and they did not have any. I
had intentions
: of getting a one gallon can, with gas, and mixing the requisite
oil in it
: for my snowblower.
:
: Soooo.......now that I don't have a gas can I was going to use
my hand
: siphon device to get a half-gallon of gas out of my car and
then do the
: mixing. I gotta find a suitable container for this though.
Suggestions?
:
: Would plastic (i.e refrigerated liquid juice container) not
work because it
: might react with the gasoline?
: All I need to do is mix a half-gallon of gas and an ounce or
two of oil.
:
: Thanks,
: Walter
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

I used an empty anti-freeze container. My snow blower is a Lawn Boy 2
stroke Insight model 33005.
After the storm(!) I went out to a Walmart that had 1,2, and 5 gallon
containers.

Thanks to all who posted.
Walter

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Walter Cohen" wrote in message

I purchased and had delivered a new snow blower and we're due to have a
storm overnight tonight and into tomorrow. I went to Sears/Kmart looking
for a gas can (really plastic) and they did not have any. I had

intentions
of getting a one gallon can, with gas, and mixing the requisite oil in it
for my snowblower.

Repost identifying your new snowblower. Gas+oil
mixes are required only for 2-stroke gas engines.
In this country snowblowers have not for many
years used 2-stroke engines -- only 4-stroke engines,
where oil is added directly to the sump, not mixed in fuel.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

Walter Cohen wrote:
Gosh darn it!
I purchased and had delivered a new snow blower and we're due to have a
storm overnight tonight and into tomorrow. I went to Sears/Kmart
looking for a gas can (really plastic) and they did not have any. I had
intentions of getting a one gallon can, with gas, and mixing the
requisite oil in it for my snowblower.

Soooo.......now that I don't have a gas can I was going to use my hand
siphon device to get a half-gallon of gas out of my car and then do the
mixing. I gotta find a suitable container for this though. Suggestions?

Would plastic (i.e refrigerated liquid juice container) not work because
it might react with the gasoline?
All I need to do is mix a half-gallon of gas and an ounce or two of oil.

Thanks,
Walter

Glass jugs work well for me. The fragile crystal ones are best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:50:02 -0400, "Walter Cohen"
wrote:

Gosh darn it!
I purchased and had delivered a new snow blower and we're due to have a
storm overnight tonight and into tomorrow. I went to Sears/Kmart looking
for a gas can (really plastic) and they did not have any. I had intentions
of getting a one gallon can, with gas, and mixing the requisite oil in it
for my snowblower.

Soooo.......now that I don't have a gas can I was going to use my hand
siphon device to get a half-gallon of gas out of my car and then do the
mixing. I gotta find a suitable container for this though. Suggestions?

Would plastic (i.e refrigerated liquid juice container) not work because it
might react with the gasoline?
All I need to do is mix a half-gallon of gas and an ounce or two of oil.

Thanks,
Walter

It amazes me how helpless some people are when their favorite store is
out of an item. I'm sure there are other stores. A local hardware
store or auto parts store for example. Otherwise, there are millions
of containers that will work in a pinch. You could even fill the tank
on the snowblower with raw gas and add the oil, and shake the blower
like crazy. Of course you'd still need a gas can for the initial gas.
Look in your basement and garbage can..... This whole thread is so
damn stupid I am not going to comment further.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
Ook Ook is offline

Glass jugs work well for me. The fragile crystal ones are best.

Me too. I hate it when you light one on fire, throw it, and it doesn't
break.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
It's not officially legal, but the best substitute I've found for
a gasoline can is a windshield washer fluid jug. Rinse it out
with water, and leave it over night propped upside down to get as
much water as possible out. Should only be a trace of humidity in
the jug in the AM.

Please remove the washer fluid label, and mark the jug with a
wide point permanant marker as to the contents.

Washer fluid jugs also will hold kerosene.

We always used the red 'Era' brand laundry soap containers. Right shape,
right size, right color, nice handle, and the plastic (back then, at least)
seemed to hold up to gasoline and oil okay. If you don't use that brand,
just stop by local laundromat, and raid the trash can. I'd test one
overnight with a cup of gas, sitting in a steel bucket, just to make sure
the plastic is still gas-proof.

aem sends...

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.religion.kibology,misc.consumers.house

Teh Most Revernd Bishop of Willesden wrote:
On 2007-03-16, Ook wrote:

Glass is an extremely bad idea. People win Darwin awards for storing
gasoline in glass jars.

Never store gasoline in anything not specifically made for it.
People win
Darwin awards for doing that also.
What about glass jars labelled "Suitable for gasoline"?

I don't think there is such a thing. And if there was, I would not use
it.

Spoilsport.

Post .gif of self not using it!

What about glass jars labelled "Suitable for Hillary Clinton"?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.religion.kibology,misc.consumers.house

On 2007-03-16, Ook wrote:

Glass is an extremely bad idea. People win Darwin awards for storing
gasoline in glass jars.

Never store gasoline in anything not specifically made for it.
People win
Darwin awards for doing that also.
What about glass jars labelled "Suitable for gasoline"?

I don't think there is such a thing. And if there was, I would not use
it.

Spoilsport.

Post .gif of self not using it!

What about glass jars labelled "Suitable for Hillary Clinton"?

You misspelled "Urine Sample"

Dr. Hot"do not drink"Salt

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.religion.kibology,misc.consumers.house

"Mark Edwards" wrote

What about glass jars labelled "Suitable for gasoline"?

No cluons were harmed when Ook wrote:
I don't think there is such a thing. And if there was, I would not use
it.

Would you, could you with a fox?

Depends on the fox.

--oTTo--
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.religion.kibology,misc.consumers.house

Otto Bahn wrote:
"Mark Edwards" wrote

What about glass jars labelled "Suitable for gasoline"?

No cluons were harmed when Ook wrote:
I don't think there is such a thing. And if there was, I would not use
it.

Would you, could you with a fox?

Depends on the fox.

Again with the Hillary Clinton references!

--
That's_ the message; "Donut sit behind leaning cats that have just
farted you blind"!

Dr HotSalt in A.R.K.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.religion.kibology,misc.consumers.house

"Teh Most Revernd Bishop of Willesden" wrote

I don't think there is such a thing. And if there was, I would not use
it.
Would you, could you with a fox?

Depends on the fox.

Again with the Hillary Clinton references!

I thought Fox was a conservative network...?

--oTTo--

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:00:49 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"WDS" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 16, 6:10 am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
Chemically the juice jug is the same material an a plastic gas can, but

the
plastic is a whole lot thinner

This MAY be true but probably is NOT.

It does not matter as long as the bottle is a type of polyethelyne or
polypropelyne. Look at the recycling symbol, if it is a 1,2,4, or 5 there
is no problem.

See: http://www.earthodyssey.com/symbols.html

I have yet to see any 1/2 gallon juice milk or soda plastic jugs that are
not one of the above plastics.

Soda bottles are PET, which I think means either
Poly-Ethyl-Tolulene, or polyethylene terephthalate.
Except that, given the melting temperatures,
the lables are polystyrene, the gaskets are
LDPE, and the caps themselves are polypropelyne.

I'm thinking that, in the absence of an appropriate container,
the best place to mix gas is in the tank of the target device,
or failing that, in a large glass jar.

Better to go buy a proper can, though.

--Goedjn

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:20:40 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:11:17 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Walter Cohen wrote:
looking for a gas can (really plastic) and they did not have any.

Mayonnaise jar or coffee can. Anything made of glass or metal. Or ceramic.

Glass is an extremely bad idea. People win Darwin awards for storing
gasoline in glass jars.

Never store gasoline in anything not specifically made for it. People win
Darwin awards for doing that also.

Once, my upstairs neighbor came to see me looking for help because she
had drunk some bleach.

One roommate put bleach in one of those translucent white plastic milk
bottles. A second roommate thought it was milk and put it in the
refrigerator. And this third roommate thought it was milk, may have
poured it in a glass, and drank some.

Related. Strangely, neither of my first-aid manuals listed it among
the poisons or anywhere, and the emergency phone number said she had
nothing listed, but she checked with a doctor and said it was not a
problem. That was 1980. Since then other people have told me it is
a problem, and I don't remember the recommended treatment. Maybe it
wasn't a problem in this case because she didn't drink much. But
there still should have been an entry in the manuals and the
operator's manual.

I don't know what they say now.

Bleach is dangerous more as a caustic agent than as a toxin.
The appropriate response for a swallow or so is to dilute with
water or milk. I dunno how anyone would drink enough to
need more treatment than that. It's not like it's a subtle
taste.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
Goedjn wrote:

Better to go buy a proper can, though.

I find listerine bottles work great
Committees of Correspondence Web page:- tinyurl.com/y7th2c
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

Ook wrote:

I waited until the time had run, pushed the pieces together and it was
still even enough to work. The eating had stopped after a point.

Carb cleaner works well on styrofoam. Better then gasoline :-)

And brake fluid can sometimes serve as paint remover, or at least nail
polish remover.

--
Cheers,
Bev