Old March 16th 07, 12:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

Default Insulation and Sealer for Hot Air Furnace Pipes

What kind of insulation is used on hot air furnace pipes and the sheet metal
of the furnace plenum? I'd also like to seal the seams and joints which leak
hot air and have heard there is some kind of liquid sealer for that.

Thanks,

TKM

Old March 16th 07, 01:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 7:42?pm, "TKM" wrote:
What kind of insulation is used on hot air furnace pipes and the sheet metal
of the furnace plenum? I'd also like to seal the seams and joints which leak
hot air and have heard there is some kind of liquid sealer for that.

Thanks,

TKM

theres a high temp tape DONT USE DUCT TAPE!

Old March 16th 07, 01:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

TKM wrote:
What kind of insulation is used on hot air furnace pipes and the
sheet metal of the furnace plenum? I'd also like to seal the seams
and joints which leak hot air and have heard there is some kind of
liquid sealer for that.
Thanks,

TKM

Do you want to insulate the pipes you have or are you looking for an
answer about the insulation on the pipes you have. What you have could be
asbestos or almost anything. To seal leaks you may want to use real duct
tape made for ducts not the silver cloth stuff. For some uses the clay like
stiff is far better. It all depends on the application.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old March 16th 07, 03:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"TKM" wrote in message
What kind of insulation is used on hot air furnace pipes and the sheet

metal
of the furnace plenum? I'd also like to seal the seams and joints which

leak
hot air and have heard there is some kind of liquid sealer for that.

Thanks,

TKM

For insulating ducts I use duct wrap insulation. Usually 1 1/2" thick, but
I think it comes in other sizes also. You can use foil tape to seal joints
and there is also some caulk products that I have seen used, but I don't
know the names. Try a plumbing supply for these materials if you can't get
them at a home center or hardware store.

Old March 16th 07, 04:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 10:33 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"TKM" wrote in message

What kind of insulation is used on hot air furnace pipes and the sheet

metal
of the furnace plenum? I'd also like to seal the seams and joints which

leak
hot air and have heard there is some kind of liquid sealer for that.

Thanks,

TKM

For insulating ducts I use duct wrap insulation. Usually 1 1/2" thick, but
I think it comes in other sizes also. You can use foil tape to seal joints
and there is also some caulk products that I have seen used, but I don't
know the names. Try a plumbing supply for these materials if you can't get
them at a home center or hardware store.

For small leaks in the plenum, you can use silicone caulk (RTV) in
clear or silver. Home Depot carries duct wrap and the tape for it, as
well as insulating sleeves for 6" ducts. Any big insulation supply
house will have everything you need too, but they may or may not sell
to the general public.

You can also use "Thumb Gum" for the small leaks.

JK