Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Horizontal House Clapboard Trim-Board Question

Hello:

Regarding those horizontal "trim boards" you sometimes see on the very
bottom edge of a horizontal clapboarded
house:

I guess they are put there to make a nice "finished" appearance.

Having new siding being put up on our typical 3 bedroom split.

Having trouble deciding if we want these boards, or not.
Thought I'd ask -

Any opinions on ?
Do most houses, when new siding is put up, use them ?

Do they collect water on the top edge, or is it just better to Not have them
and allow the rain water to run off more easily ?

Also, I guess the most important question:
Should flashing be used around (the top) of this board to prevent rain water
from collecting, or seeping in, there ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 6:45 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello:

Regarding those horizontal "trim boards" you sometimes see on the very
bottom edge of a horizontal clapboarded
house:

I guess they are put there to make a nice "finished" appearance.

Having new siding being put up on our typical 3 bedroom split.

Having trouble deciding if we want these boards, or not.
Thought I'd ask -

Any opinions on ?
Do most houses, when new siding is put up, use them ?

Do they collect water on the top edge, or is it just better to Not have them
and allow the rain water to run off more easily ?

Also, I guess the most important question:
Should flashing be used around (the top) of this board to prevent rain water
from collecting, or seeping in, there ?

Thanks,
B.

Although in the past they may have served a function I'm not aware of,
currently such boards are usually decorative. The exception might be
in cases where you have to build out the siding to get an overhang
over something below (like foundation insulation). Yes, they collect
water and worse, provide a point of entry for water, so they need to
be flashed. Most new houses don't use them, partly because vinyl and
fiber cement don't really lend themselves to fancy trim details.
Unless you really have a look in mind, just run your siding right down
to the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 7:45 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello:

Regarding those horizontal "trim boards" you sometimes see on the very
bottom edge of a horizontal clapboarded
house:

I guess they are put there to make a nice "finished" appearance.

Having new siding being put up on our typical 3 bedroom split.

Having trouble deciding if we want these boards, or not.
Thought I'd ask -

Any opinions on ?
Do most houses, when new siding is put up, use them ?

Do they collect water on the top edge, or is it just better to Not have them
and allow the rain water to run off more easily ?

Also, I guess the most important question:
Should flashing be used around (the top) of this board to prevent rain water
from collecting, or seeping in, there ?

Thanks,
B.

In New England that piece is called a waterboard and is rabbetted so
that the lowest course of siding rests rests on the shoulder of the
rabbet and the tounge of the rabbet is the same thickness as the lower
edge of the beval siding.
As far as I know it acts to keep water out and cover the sills.

clapboard vs hardie steve Woodworking 0 October 20th 06 03:03 PM
Replacing base board trim on Plaster Walls. Katie Home Repair 3 July 24th 06 01:06 PM
exterior trim of a 2-story house ap Home Ownership 1 April 5th 05 09:01 PM
Wood Trim for a 1986 CT house Bob M Home Repair 9 March 21st 05 06:06 PM
Painting House Trim new england gal Home Repair 7 January 11th 05 06:29 PM