Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11 Robert11 is offline

Default Horizontal House Clapboard Trim-Board Question

Hello:

Regarding those horizontal "trim boards" you sometimes see on the very
bottom edge of a horizontal clapboarded
house:

I guess they are put there to make a nice "finished" appearance.

Having new siding being put up on our typical 3 bedroom split.

Having trouble deciding if we want these boards, or not.
Thought I'd ask -

Any opinions on ?
Do most houses, when new siding is put up, use them ?

Do they collect water on the top edge, or is it just better to Not have them
and allow the rain water to run off more easily ?

Also, I guess the most important question:
Should flashing be used around (the top) of this board to prevent rain water
from collecting, or seeping in, there ?

Thanks,
B.