Posted to alt.home.repair
beecrofter beecrofter is offline

Default Horizontal House Clapboard Trim-Board Question

On Mar 15, 7:45 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello:

Regarding those horizontal "trim boards" you sometimes see on the very
bottom edge of a horizontal clapboarded
house:

I guess they are put there to make a nice "finished" appearance.

Having new siding being put up on our typical 3 bedroom split.

Having trouble deciding if we want these boards, or not.
Thought I'd ask -

Any opinions on ?
Do most houses, when new siding is put up, use them ?

Do they collect water on the top edge, or is it just better to Not have them
and allow the rain water to run off more easily ?

Also, I guess the most important question:
Should flashing be used around (the top) of this board to prevent rain water
from collecting, or seeping in, there ?

Thanks,
B.

In New England that piece is called a waterboard and is rabbetted so
that the lowest course of siding rests rests on the shoulder of the
rabbet and the tounge of the rabbet is the same thickness as the lower
edge of the beval siding.
As far as I know it acts to keep water out and cover the sills.