Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default If one needs a new furnace

If I need a new furnace, I'm sure they will want to sell me a new AC
at the same time, and I could probably use one.

Does one set of guys install the furnace and the evaporator, and then
another set come to install the condenser and to hook the AC up?

If you wanted to do the furnace first and wait a few weeks or months
to finish the AC, would they likely charge extra for that? Would they
price it as two separate jobs?

In another thread, I read again how important the AC installation is,
and to check out the who is going to do it, so I could use the time.
The furnace might end up being a semi-emergency buy, but the AC won't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

Does one set of guys install the furnace and the evaporator, and then
another set come to install the condenser and to hook the AC up?

Depends. Some heating guys don't have the licensce for AC.

If you wanted to do the furnace first and wait a few weeks or months
to finish the AC, would they likely charge extra for that? Would they
price it as two separate jobs?

They have to travel more, haul more stuff back and forth, take apart duct
work, etc. I'd image it a few hundred bucks more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
If I need a new furnace, I'm sure they will want to sell me a new AC
at the same time, and I could probably use one.

Does one set of guys install the furnace and the evaporator, and then
another set come to install the condenser and to hook the AC up?

Most do, but not all. I would want one to do both as if there is a
problem, you will not have one blaming the other.

If you wanted to do the furnace first and wait a few weeks or months
to finish the AC, would they likely charge extra for that? Would they
price it as two separate jobs?

I would want it all done at the same time. It will be cheaper (some of
the work would need to be done twice) and the same as above.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

In another thread, I read again how important the AC installation is,
and to check out the who is going to do it, so I could use the time.
The furnace might end up being a semi-emergency buy, but the AC won't.

What you're going to do is ask everybody you work with, any neighbors you're
acquainted with, and all your friends about the heating contractor they use,
how long they've used that company. Hopefully, one of these people will
provide a rave review for a contractor, and you'll be all set. You will not
go to Home Depot, Sears, or anyone similar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 02:47:41 -0400, mm
wrote:

If I need a new furnace, I'm sure they will want to sell me a new AC
at the same time, and I could probably use one.

Does one set of guys install the furnace and the evaporator, and then
another set come to install the condenser and to hook the AC up?

If you wanted to do the furnace first and wait a few weeks or months
to finish the AC, would they likely charge extra for that? Would they
price it as two separate jobs?

In another thread, I read again how important the AC installation is,
and to check out the who is going to do it, so I could use the time.
The furnace might end up being a semi-emergency buy, but the AC won't.

Borrow the money and do it all at once. It gets really problematic
to do them separately.

It's typical to get 3 estimates and then pick the one you feel
comfortable with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If I need a new furnace, I'm sure they will want to sell me a new AC
at the same time, and I could probably use one.

Does one set of guys install the furnace and the evaporator, and then
another set come to install the condenser and to hook the AC up?

If you wanted to do the furnace first and wait a few weeks or months
to finish the AC, would they likely charge extra for that? *Would they
price it as two separate jobs?

In another thread, I read again how important the AC installation is,
and to check out the who is going to do it, so I could use the time.
The furnace might end up being a semi-emergency buy, but the AC won't.

*Borrow the money and do it all at once. *It gets really problematic
to do them separately.

*It's typical to get 3 estimates and then pick the one you feel
comfortable with.

I looked into this last fall aklthough we didnt get the new furnace at
that time

Install new furnace and evaporator. Then in spring install outside
compressoor and lines.

Of course if you already have AC then you lose it doing it this way

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

If I need a new furnace, I'm sure they will want to sell me a new AC
at the same time, and I could probably use one.

Does one set of guys install the furnace and the evaporator, and then
another set come to install the condenser and to hook the AC up?

If you wanted to do the furnace first and wait a few weeks or months
to finish the AC, would they likely charge extra for that? ould they
price it as two separate jobs?

In another thread, I read again how important the AC installation is,
and to check out the who is going to do it, so I could use the time.
The furnace might end up being a semi-emergency buy, but the AC won't.

orrow the money and do it all at once. t gets really problematic
to do them separately.

t's typical to get 3 estimates and then pick the one you feel
comfortable with.

I looked into this last fall aklthough we didnt get the new furnace at
that time

Install new furnace and evaporator. Then in spring install outside
compressoor and lines.

Hey, everyone agreed until I got to you.

Of course if you already have AC then you lose it doing it this way

Not a problem in my case.

Thanks all. I definitely see the advantage of one crew, and I'm sure
that's a question most people don't ask, and they wouldn't think to
volunteer most of the time.

I've been there where each party blames the other. The best college
paper I ever wrote, and the only one I didn't have a copy of, because
it included more than text, graphs and charts in more than one color
and I didn't use carbon paper, and xerox machines didn't exist or were
very uncommon at the time (1973) -- color was unheard of -- two of my
instructors wanted to see. I lent it to one and allowed him to lend
it to the other. The first said he gave it to the second and the
second said he never got it, and I never got it back. Frankly I think
one of them stole it and later plagiarized it. Even though I never
saw any evidence of the second part of that, it was the only paper
with a truly original thought that I ever wrote. It was just a class
for me... I didn't go into that field or I'd be even more bothered by
this than I am.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
mm wrote:
If I need a new furnace, I'm sure they will want to sell me a new AC
at the same time, and I could probably use one.

Does one set of guys install the furnace and the evaporator, and then
another set come to install the condenser and to hook the AC up?

Most do, but not all. I would want one to do both as if there is a
problem, you will not have one blaming the other.

Good advice. Dealing with more than 1 contractor follows a square law: 2
contractors = 4 times the hassles.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:50:34 -0400, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
mm wrote:
If I need a new furnace, I'm sure they will want to sell me a new AC
at the same time, and I could probably use one.

Does one set of guys install the furnace and the evaporator, and then
another set come to install the condenser and to hook the AC up?

Most do, but not all. I would want one to do both as if there is a
problem, you will not have one blaming the other.

Good advice. Dealing with more than 1 contractor follows a square law: 2
contractors = 4 times the hassles.

I meant one contractor who used two different crews for different
parts. I think that is what Joe meant too, but since your post I'm
not 100% sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 1:01 pm, mm wrote:

wrote:

[...]

One problem I see in that is that I would think the AC units come as
complete kits to the contractor. So, if the contractor is going to
only install part of
it, who pays for and sits on the rest of it for 6 months? If it's the
homeowner,
then all he's put off is paying some of the installation charge, which
isn't going to
be all that much. And then there
are the potential complications like will this still qualify for any
rebate programs that
are going on with the manufacturer, utility, etc. For example, many
electric companies
will give you a few hundred bucks toward a new AC unit of a certain
efficiency. However,
you could find that the installer can't sign off on it till it's done,
but when they do, some
other part of the paperwork now says the unit was bought or installed
6 mhts ago and
you waited too long to apply.

And then of course, we all know the horror stories of contractors
disappearing, going bankrupt, selling
the business. Sounds risky to me.

[...]

this than I am.- Hide quoted text -

Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
furnace bit, furnace rod, drill rod wangsbin Woodturning 0 August 24th 06 04:54 AM
run my oil forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from rusting clickclack Home Repair 7 July 7th 06 10:55 PM
Thick accordion-type furnace filters - can I retrofit furnace for standard? bryanska Home Ownership 1 August 9th 05 09:24 PM
Replacing gas furnace (was New Gas Furnace Time) [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 18th 05 09:31 PM