Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cracked heat exchanger

"curmudgeon" wrote in message
I agree with Deke.
Two years ago a serviceman out on a "tune up" call reported a crack....and
I could see what looked like a crack.
But I didn't have the money for a new furnace, so I went and bought two
hi-end Co2 detectors instead...to tide me over.
In two years they have NEVER gone off!

Those things are worthless then,
a CO2 detector should be going off pretty often if your still breathing.

I myself bought a CO dectector.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:15:38 -0400, curmudgeon
wrote:

I agree with Deke.
Two years ago a serviceman out on a "tune up" call reported a
crack....and I could see what looked like a crack.
But I didn't have the money for a new furnace, so I went and bought two
hi-end Co2 detectors instead...to tide me over.
In two years they have NEVER gone off!
And I have decided there won't be a replacement furnace until they sound
the alarm.
I too had heard all the rumors about dying in my sleep from a cracked
heat exchanger...but so far, no alarms and no morning after headaches.

My apologies for leading you astray about the co2 and co error I
made. I didn't take chemistry although I have a doctorate. Should
have spelled out the words: carbon monoxide, although I believe
everyone knew what we were talking about. When you don't like the
message, attack the messenger.

I watched a show on 60 minutes or 20-20 and learned a great deal
about these so called repairmen.

I'm going to get me one of those carbon monoxide detectors when the
price goes under $20 at Walmart. g

Deke wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:36:18 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Chris Friesen wrote:
Deke wrote:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:24:00 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:
Around here they're legally required to tag it and notify the gas
company. It then has to be replaced in 30 days or the gas will be
shut off.
Please post the web site of the code that says that.
I can't...its not available online, and it costs about $180 for a copy.
After some more digging, I did find something. See the "Red Tag
Program" link at:

http://www.saskpower.com/yourbus/cb/cb.shtml

It looks like its even more stringent than I thought. According to that
document, a cracked heat exchanger is technically considered a
"hazardous condition". This requires either immediate repair or else
turning off the gas to the appliance and notifying the gas utility.

Chris

Chris, did you read the next part (low risk condition) where it
says that you do NOT turn off the gas if there is no co2 being
released into the building and there is no flame roll out?

In that case you just notify the owner and attach your tag. You do
NOT turn off the gas to the appliance!

I strongly advise everyone to get a co2 detector and the repairman to
check out co2 levels of any home with a suspect appliance.

But I also warn consumers of HVAC service that you NEVER let them
touch your gas shutoff valve - cracked heat exchanger or not - unless
they can show you code verse that gives them that authority.

What is more likely at play is that they are robbing you blind.

And I must say that code is not pure. Often the very crooks that
steal from consumers are the same ones that provide the code to the
city/county parish or other licensing authority.

And finally, if they pull something on you, then get a lawyer and sue
their ass for fraud and deceptive trade practice. It costs you
nothing as the consumer laws provide the crooks to pay attorney fees.

.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 00:28:16 -0500, Deke wrote:

My apologies for leading you astray about the co2 and co error I
made. I didn't take chemistry although I have a doctorate. Should
have spelled out the words: carbon monoxide, although I believe
everyone knew what we were talking about. When you don't like the
message, attack the messenger.

I watched a show on 60 minutes or 20-20 and learned a great deal
about these so called repairmen.

I'm going to get me one of those carbon monoxide detectors when the
price goes under $20 at Walmart. g

There are indeed too many scams going on. Nationwide deaths from
cracked furnace tubes is pretty low for this to be a common problem.
But it is not something to dismiss out of hand.

The best test is still to ask if you have a sick home syndrome? That
is do you have unexplained headaches, unexplained tiredness
principally at home, vomitting and respiratory problem especially in
cold weather but not in summer. Then suspect a faulty furnace. Home
quality CO detectors aren't that reliable. Keeping house plants and
a pet bird or keeping aquarium fish will be far more effective warning
indicators should they die early. They are in the house all the time.

That said call the gas company for an unbiased inspection. At least
in my city they don't do any repair services and are not conflicted to
recommend unecessary repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 07:39:41 GMT, PaPaPeng wrote:

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 00:28:16 -0500, Deke wrote:

My apologies for leading you astray about the co2 and co error I
made. I didn't take chemistry although I have a doctorate. Should
have spelled out the words: carbon monoxide, although I believe
everyone knew what we were talking about. When you don't like the
message, attack the messenger.

I watched a show on 60 minutes or 20-20 and learned a great deal
about these so called repairmen.

I'm going to get me one of those carbon monoxide detectors when the
price goes under $20 at Walmart. g

There are indeed too many scams going on. Nationwide deaths from
cracked furnace tubes is pretty low for this to be a common problem.
But it is not something to dismiss out of hand.

Sure it is. It definitely should be dismissed out of hand. It's
pure BS.

No one ever got a headache from a cracked heat exchanger, much less
died. It is actuallly physically impossible.

But those heat exchangers often come with a 20 year or lifetime
warranty so have it replaced by all means, since it's free. Maybe in
the process the guy will actually find something else such as burner
rollout that could actually be harmful.