Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommendations for a gas water heater?

I'm looking for recommendations for a gas water heater. Do you know of a
good brand (and product line) that you'd recommend? Any general tips on
selecting a water heater would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A little more info would be helpful. Are you replacing an existing tank?
Is it serving your needs as far as how much hot water it delivers? Then
stay with that size. No sense heating more water than you are going to use.
If you frequently run out of hot water, then go for a larger tank. Look for
one with the highest energy rating / lowests cosst per year of ownership.

"mtco" wrote in message
I'm looking for recommendations for a gas water heater. Do you know of a
good brand (and product line) that you'd recommend? Any general tips on
selecting a water heater would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:
A little more info would be helpful. Are you replacing an existing tank?

Yes. Does that affect the consideration in some way?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 8:57 pm, mtco wrote:
Mark wrote:
A little more info would be helpful. Are you replacing an existing tank?

Yes. Does that affect the consideration in some way?

As Mark suggested it makes the decision easier if you are replacing an
existing tank. If the tank size you have is supplying enough hot
water then stick with the same size; if it is not then get a larger
one. Look for energy star ratings and pick the most efficient one
that is in your price range, it will save you some cash over time with
lower utility bills.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BZ BZ is offline

Mark wrote:

If you frequently run out of hot water, then go for a larger tank.

But before you do, measure the size of the closet that contains the
water heater, including the height. And look at the height at which the
water inlet and outlet pipes come through the wall. You might have
plenty of ceiling height, but if you're replacing a 40 gallon with a 50
and the pipes come out of the wall at about the height of the existing
40, you're going to have to tear open the wall and move the pipes higher
up in order to get a taller water heater in there. (Even if you're
replacing a 40 gallon tank with another 40 gallon tank, check the height
of the tank and where the pipes come out of the wall. Not all 40 gallon
tanks are the same dimensions.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

mtco wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a gas water heater. Do you know
of a good brand (and product line) that you'd recommend? Any general
tips on selecting a water heater would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

There is not much difference from one manufacturer to another, but your
needs may be better met by one model or another. Tell us more about what
your needs and concerns are. For example.

What size do you have now?

How old is it?

Why are you replacing it?

How well has it met your needs?

Are you willing to pay a little more now and save money later on
operational cost? Are you paying more or less than average to gas?

How many in your family?

Do you need lots of water all at once? (The washer running and two
people showering at once.)

Is there a lot of down time (like we use it in the morning and not again
until everyone gets home)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

i get them at my ace hardware ,40 gal gas, they last about 10-15 years
and are 150.00 . rheem brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 7:46 am, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
mtco wrote:
[...]

I have a garden variety State that is about 6 years old now that I
bought at HD. A year ago, the thermocouple went bad. I diagnosed
it and called State up and got someone right away. They had a new
thermocouple on my door in 2 days for free, no shipping charge, no
return of old part.

I looked at paying more for higher efficiency units, but concluded it
didn't appear to be worth it. Of course, now gas is more expensive,
so it might. You should also consider if there is any reason to go
with direct vent. For example, if your furnace is near the end of
it's life and you're going to go with a 90%+ new furnace shortly,
having a direct vent water heater means you would no longer need the
chimney, don't have to worry about it possibly needing a liner when
you switch furnaces, etc.

Also, make sure you consider where water will do from a leaking unit
and use an appropriate drain pan solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bigger is always better So a 50 gallon tank is prefered over a 40
gallon, for say laundry. plus a larger tank experiences less thermal
stress from heating and cooling completely when you run out of hot
water.

Buy the longest warranty you can, normally 12 years, longer warranty
means less overall cost per year. plus better quality, pricer tanks
more likely to have brass drain valves, cheap tanks tend to have
plastic valves real junk they break easy and often drip after just
opening once.

most tanks are about 40,000 BTU, some cheap tanks 34,000 BTU

I prefer my 75,000 BTU tank 75 gallon tank. It cost more, but no cold
showers here.

Dont stress too mucxh about what you buy, confirm it will fit the
space. do replace the vent pipe they rust over time, and check out the
chimney or have it iunspected to make sure its safe. bad chimney caps
can be dangerous, detoriated linings etc.

Think of this.......

most people dont have to buy a tank till they are at least 20 years
old.

by 70 most dont need to buy one again.

So they need to buy one for 50 years MAX.

say the average tank lasts 10 years, if you buy good quality.

so you buy 5 tanks in a lifetime, and probably less. because previous
owner just installed one, lived for a time in a apartment or rental,
etc etc.

hot water tanks are a minor inconvenience and overall minor cost too.

figure 500 bucks for new tank installed, 10 year life of 12 year
warranty tank.

50 bucks a year. less than one nice candy bar cost per week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 7:00 am, wrote:
i get them at my ace hardware ,40 gal gas, they last about 10-15 years
and are 150.00 . rheem brand.

They are no longer $150. New safety standards (can't remember the
acronym) have pushed the base price up to around $225.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big_Jake" wrote:

They are no longer $150. New safety standards (can't remember the
acronym) have pushed the base price up to around $225.

This would be the BBQ style lighter and the plastic dust skirt that goes around
the base?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 10:57 am, Rick Blaine wrote:
"Big_Jake" wrote:
They are no longer $150. New safety standards (can't remember the
acronym) have pushed the base price up to around $225.

This would be the BBQ style lighter and the plastic dust skirt that goes around
the base?

Yes.

Basically it shuts down the pilot if there is a buildup of combustible
gas under the water heater. I think this required modification came
out 2-3 years ago. I used to be able to get a 40 gallon heater for
around $125 at Menards. I would guess that the higher cost of metal
is another reason that they cost more, but they jumped at least $75
when this feature was added.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 04:44:03 GMT, mtco wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for a gas water heater. Do you know of a
good brand (and product line) that you'd recommend? Any general tips on
selecting a water heater would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

I"m sort of compulsive, so I wanted a wh that would fit the current
pipes. LOL. I had AOSmith, but I had, still have, the impression
that a WH would be more expensive at plumbing supply store. Any truth
to that?

I looked a few places and none matched until I got to Sears. They call
them Sears brand, but the pipes were in the same place and the same
distance from each other as AOSmith from 28 years ago, and the owners
manuals have the exact same format.

My 3BR 2 1/2 bath townhouse came with an 80, that's eighty gallon wh.
I presume they all did but it's conceivable the first owner, who
bought pretty early, ordered something special, even though he was
single. I thought if I went to 52, it would be plenty (I"m single)
and I'd have enough room to get between my wh and furnace and try to
fix the condensate leak from the AC. IIRC, I ended up fixing the AC
when the WH was out altogether, so it didn't even matter that it was
smaller. But I am better able to get behind the furnace now, which is
almost a foot from the wall. And I have more storage for scrap wood
on both sides of the WH while still keeping the wood a foot from the
furnace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:00:51 -0500, wrote:

i get them at my ace hardware ,40 gal gas, they last about 10-15 years
and are 150.00 . rheem brand.

Yes,
Definitely get one from your local Ace or Murphyor HD or whatever is
handy.
Because they also will most likely carry parts for this same brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mtco" wrote in message
I'm looking for recommendations for a gas water heater. Do you know of a
good brand (and product line) that you'd recommend? Any general tips on
selecting a water heater would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

This may help you to research a bit:

www.waterheaterrescue.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

MM, is your water heater gas or electric? You mention you got a 52
gallon, and I think that size is what the electrics use for some reason.
Gas are usualy 30, 40, 50 etc. You mentioned an 80 gallon first-- an 80
gallon gas w/h would practically serve a small laundromat. Gas W/Hs
usually have a recovery rate about twice that of electric, so a 40
gallon gas is usually more than enough for a typical family. My parents'
house has always had a 30 gas, and we always had plenty of hot water.
Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:45:41 -0600, (lp13-30) wrote:

MM, is your water heater gas or electric? You mention you got a 52

Electric.

gallon, and I think that size is what the electrics use for some reason.
Gas are usualy 30, 40, 50 etc. You mentioned an 80 gallon first-- an 80
gallon gas w/h would practically serve a small laundromat. Gas W/Hs

Wow.

Even in electric, it's pretty darn big. I should find out if all the
neighbors started with 80 gallon tanks also.

usually have a recovery rate about twice that of electric, so a 40
gallon gas is usually more than enough for a typical family. My parents'
house has always had a 30 gas, and we always had plenty of hot water.
Larry

I would probably like a gas wh, and I know I would prefer a gas stove,
but there is no gas available for the entire 109 townhouses.

The closest place is about 150 yards. I thought there would be more
ability to cooperate here, and I suppose it wouldn't be much money if
all, or half of us paid for 150 yards of supply pipe, but easier
things are hard to get done, and even I don't like the idea of digging
trenches and repairing yards and I guess maybe pavement.

When I see how townhouse neighbors can't cooperate, when we are all in
the same house with about the same income, I don't wonder so much why
nations can't get along.

So I take comfort in knowing my neighbors can't burn my house down
with a gas fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 1:55�pm, mm wrote:
[...]

the bigger the better when it comes to hot water tanks!

really the marginal cost from 40 to 80 gallons is minor and by no
means doubles tank cost!

the biggest complaint about heater is running out of hot water, a nice
big tank takes care of that at little cost.

as far as the distance from townhomes to gas supply.

lines are only so large. its altogether possible the gas company would
want you to pay for not just the 150 yards, but more to install a
larger line all the way back to a main line a long way away.

this came up with a friend, 2 doors down had gas but the feeder line
was too small, they wanted a fortune for upgrading 1/2 mile to provide
enough flow and all the neighbors had to agree to take service.

killed the entire idea

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 11 Mar 2007 14:16:12 -0700, "
wrote:

So I take comfort in knowing my neighbors can't burn my house down
with a gas fire.

the bigger the better when it comes to hot water tanks!

really the marginal cost from 40 to 80 gallons is minor and by no
means doubles tank cost!

the biggest complaint about heater is running out of hot water, a nice
big tank takes care of that at little cost.

Maybe next time.

as far as the distance from townhomes to gas supply.

lines are only so large. its altogether possible the gas company would
want you to pay for not just the 150 yards, but more to install a
larger line all the way back to a main line a long way away.

Hadn't thought about that.

this came up with a friend, 2 doors down had gas but the feeder line
was too small, they wanted a fortune for upgrading 1/2 mile to provide
enough flow and all the neighbors had to agree to take service.

killed the entire idea

Kills it for me too.