Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bad Plumbers Rant

After living next to some nice elderly women I finally got around to
checking out their basement water situation. I know the foolishness I had
to go through with my basement but I suppose I burried my head in the sand
with hopefulness that my neighbors, whose homes were built by the same
builder, did not have the same problems. I was wrong.

Well I am not ranting about the builder now, but the plumbers that came to
'fix' her problem. The builder installed 2 sump pumps. 1 electric, 1
water backup. 2 separate exhaust pipes. The kind plumbers saw fit to not
only remove the water backup, but discard the parts somewhere so I cant
even reconstruct it. They also cut the 2nd exhaust pipe off. I assume it
was the next plumber that decided she needed a backup, so instead of using
the 2nd exhause pipe, he put a Y on and installed a 2nd ELECTRIC pump into
the pit. So there are 2 electric pumps in the pit wyed to the same
exhaust pipe. But wait, theres more!! The pumps have float-arm type
switches. There is not enough room in the pit for 2 electric pumps let
alone with 2 float arm switches. So one pump stays on continuously.

The original pump they removed was a heavy duty sewage pump. We have LOTS
of water flow so that would have been nice. But when they saw it covered
with mud, instead of cleaning it, like our pumps require every 8 months,
they declared it 'broken' and removed it, and installed a new smaller
pump. At least they did not discard it. Probably because they were too
lazy to carry it up the stairs...

It just ****es me off to see folks taken advantage of like this. In any
event, I have had enough plumbers in my house that I will be able to give
her the number to some good ones that can snake those drains out. And
one that can also get a new water backup installed. Seems like some just
do whatever they can get away with. ho hum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 4:07 pm, "dnoyeB" wrote:
[...]

Welcome to the real world. You are absolved. Mabe it wasn't a
real plumber who did that job just some handyman who wasn't in a
position to turn down the job. I know it happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:07:44 -0600, "dnoyeB" wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry, but if a real plumber was called, they would have had
all the parts on their truck so your rant is misplaced.

Not to say you are incompetent, but you probably are. They do it for
a living and can use what works for them - IF GIVEN A CHANCE.