Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Owens Corning shingles

Three years ago I had a new roof put on using Owens Corning 25
year shingles and now every time we have a high wind which is all
the time in West Texas shingles blow off and need to be replaced.
Are these shingles cheap and just no good.

My old roof was on the house when I bought it and lasted twenty
years but didn't look so good and that's why I had the new roof
put on.

Robert

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert wrote:
Three years ago I had a new roof put on using Owens Corning 25
year shingles and now every time we have a high wind which is all
the time in West Texas shingles blow off and need to be replaced.
Are these shingles cheap and just no good.

My old roof was on the house when I bought it and lasted twenty
years but didn't look so good and that's why I had the new roof
put on.

Sometimes, in more northerly climates where the shingles are not in
the sun's path, the shingles' adhesive strips don't get hot enough to
seal the shingle courses to each other, and the wind gets under the
shingle and rips them off. I strongly doubt that not enough heat is
the problem in West Texas.

Sounds more like an installation problem. If the original roofer is
the one doing the repairs, I wouldn't necessarily expect them to point
out their own shortcomings that might require a total roof
replacement.

In high wind areas, like where I am, the shingles need six nails, not
four. Examine the roof to see if the shingles are indeed sealing to
each other, and the quantity and location of nails used per shingle.
There are roofers with nail guns that move so fast they can't spare
the time to put the right number of nails in the right places. You
know, idiots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert" wrote in message
.. .
Three years ago I had a new roof put on using Owens Corning 25
year shingles and now every time we have a high wind which is all
the time in West Texas shingles blow off and need to be replaced.
Are these shingles cheap and just no good.

Might have been a defective lot ... contact both Owens Corning and the
installer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:15:53 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

"Robert" wrote in message
. ..
Three years ago I had a new roof put on using Owens Corning 25
year shingles and now every time we have a high wind which is all
the time in West Texas shingles blow off and need to be replaced.
Are these shingles cheap and just no good.

Might have been a defective lot ... contact both Owens Corning and the
installer.

Or a defective installation. Aren't you supposed to put
extra glue on those, in high wind exposures? Are you
even supposed to USE the 25-year shingle in high wind
exposure areas?