Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Owens Corning Shingles

Our Insurance company is giving us some money to replace part of our
roof due to hail damage. They won't replace the whole roof unless the
original shingles aren't available.

The original shingles are Owens Corning Weathered Wood Classic. I know
they still make this type but my real question is...even though they
are called the same, if you put a new shingle from 15 years ago next to
a new shingle of the same type today would they be an exact match? Is
the Weathered Wood Classic the exact same color as it was 15 years ago.

Thanks,

DJ

Posted to misc.consumers.house

I'd guess they probably won't match because the gritty layer on top,
which is supposed to wear away over time, would have worn away after 15
years. Also the colors could have faded slightly.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Roger,
I realize that the existing shingles have faded over time but what I
was wondering is...are the new shingles going to be the exact same
shingle as the original shingles that were manufactured 15 years ago?
Even though they call them the same - Do you think the Weathered Wood
shingle bought today is the same make-up, color etc. as the original
shingles of 15 years ago?