Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
kbmcdowell
 
Posts: n/a
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

Hey, I thought you guys would want to know this. I certainly am kinda
peeved about it, after doing like 10 hours of research on acoustic
products like Owens Corning's QuietZone. Here's the story:

I decided to acoustically insulate our bedroom ceiling, because our
children's rooms are right above us, and we get some noise. After a lot
of research, I decided to order Owens Corning's QuietZone acoustic
batts. I am also going to double sheetrock or put in a drop ceiling
with acoustic panels, but the QuietZone product seemed a perfect start,
and not too much money.

So my Home Depot sales guy seemed to know a lot about the product. Like
it is more dense than regular insulation, and has no "thermal" value,
ie, no R-value, it will allow heat to pass through. The only problem,
Home Depot has to special order it, they do not stock.

While this was going on, I was walking through Home Depot one day and
came across a new product called R-13 "Thermal and Acoustical"
insulation. So I ask the same guy...what gives? He says, "that's just
regular insulation, and they market it as an acoustical product now".
OK, so what about the QuietZone product? "Oh, that's still the best
stuff, don't get that insulation, you want the QuietZone."

Then I call Owens Corning this morning to find out where I can buy the
stuff off the shelf. No clue, they say. They can not tell me where I
can buy the stuff stocked. I got to special order. Then the fun begins.
The OC customer service rep says... just buy the regular insulation,
its the same stuff. I was like, what are you talking about? And she
says hold, then comes back and says, yeah, I checked, just get regular
insulation, its the same exact stuff, just a different facing on it,
different packaging. I'm like...yeah, OK. Whatever, have a nice day

Then I go down to Home Depot to order the QuietZone product, because
the Home Depot guy seemed more sure of himself. Sounded fishy to me...
Then he has to call Owens Corning because the product numbers are not
available to him. Then he finds out that QuietZone is not available in
our area (Rochester NY). What? Yeah, they apprently only sell the stuff
in the south. Huh? OK... he's going to do some more checking.

So he makes some calls while I go buy some plywood and a door. Then he
comes and finds me with the "news"... Its the same stuff.

He talked to the customer service rep's manager, who then transferred
him to the Home Depot account rep or something. Same story. The
QuietZone product IS regular insulation, just packaged and marketed
differently !!

You see, people don't buy insulation in the south. So they package it
differently for a different application. A way to make more money is
what I am thinking, pulling the "wool" over the consumer's eyes, so to
speak (or their ears).

So the Home Depot guy says... we can special order the QuietZone, or
you can buy that "Thermal and Acoustical" insulation sitting on the
shelf. Its the same stuff, but you can take this home with you today,
and its cheaper.

I am not a happy camper. Owens Corning stringing all of us along with a
marketing ploy like this. And the Home Depot guy, what is he doing?
Probably just regurgitating what he learned in a QuietZone training
class. Spin city.

If only I could get Roxul to fit inbetween my joists...

Thought you might want to know...

kbmcdowell

  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dennis Turner
 
Posts: n/a
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

On 11/17/2005 6:26 PM or thereabouts, kbmcdowell appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

Hey, I thought you guys would want to know this. I certainly am kinda
peeved about it, after doing like 10 hours of research on acoustic
products like Owens Corning's QuietZone. Here's the story:

I decided to acoustically insulate our bedroom ceiling, because our
children's rooms are right above us, and we get some noise. After a lot
of research, I decided to order Owens Corning's QuietZone acoustic
batts. I am also going to double sheetrock or put in a drop ceiling
with acoustic panels, but the QuietZone product seemed a perfect start,
and not too much money.

So my Home Depot sales guy seemed to know a lot about the product. Like
it is more dense than regular insulation, and has no "thermal" value,
ie, no R-value, it will allow heat to pass through. The only problem,
Home Depot has to special order it, they do not stock.

While this was going on, I was walking through Home Depot one day and
came across a new product called R-13 "Thermal and Acoustical"
insulation. So I ask the same guy...what gives? He says, "that's just
regular insulation, and they market it as an acoustical product now".
OK, so what about the QuietZone product? "Oh, that's still the best
stuff, don't get that insulation, you want the QuietZone."

Then I call Owens Corning this morning to find out where I can buy the
stuff off the shelf. No clue, they say. They can not tell me where I
can buy the stuff stocked. I got to special order. Then the fun begins.
The OC customer service rep says... just buy the regular insulation,
its the same stuff. I was like, what are you talking about? And she
says hold, then comes back and says, yeah, I checked, just get regular
insulation, its the same exact stuff, just a different facing on it,
different packaging. I'm like...yeah, OK. Whatever, have a nice day

Then I go down to Home Depot to order the QuietZone product, because
the Home Depot guy seemed more sure of himself. Sounded fishy to me...
Then he has to call Owens Corning because the product numbers are not
available to him. Then he finds out that QuietZone is not available in
our area (Rochester NY). What? Yeah, they apprently only sell the stuff
in the south. Huh? OK... he's going to do some more checking.

So he makes some calls while I go buy some plywood and a door. Then he
comes and finds me with the "news"... Its the same stuff.

He talked to the customer service rep's manager, who then transferred
him to the Home Depot account rep or something. Same story. The
QuietZone product IS regular insulation, just packaged and marketed
differently !!

You see, people don't buy insulation in the south. So they package it
differently for a different application. A way to make more money is
what I am thinking, pulling the "wool" over the consumer's eyes, so to
speak (or their ears).

So the Home Depot guy says... we can special order the QuietZone, or
you can buy that "Thermal and Acoustical" insulation sitting on the
shelf. Its the same stuff, but you can take this home with you today,
and its cheaper.

I am not a happy camper. Owens Corning stringing all of us along with a
marketing ploy like this. And the Home Depot guy, what is he doing?
Probably just regurgitating what he learned in a QuietZone training
class. Spin city.

If only I could get Roxul to fit inbetween my joists...

Thought you might want to know...

kbmcdowell


It is quite common for a product to be marketed under various names, in
differing packaging, for differing uses, and/or in different areas.
There is nothing dishonest or misleading here; just marketing folks
trying to increase sales of their employer's products.

--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon
 
Posts: n/a
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

Dennis Turner wrote:
On 11/17/2005 6:26 PM or thereabouts, kbmcdowell appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

Hey, I thought you guys would want to know this. I certainly am kinda
peeved about it, after doing like 10 hours of research on acoustic
products like Owens Corning's QuietZone. Here's the story:

I decided to acoustically insulate our bedroom ceiling, because our
children's rooms are right above us, and we get some noise. After a lot
of research, I decided to order Owens Corning's QuietZone acoustic
batts. I am also going to double sheetrock or put in a drop ceiling
with acoustic panels, but the QuietZone product seemed a perfect start,
and not too much money.

So my Home Depot sales guy seemed to know a lot about the product. Like
it is more dense than regular insulation, and has no "thermal" value,
ie, no R-value, it will allow heat to pass through. The only problem,
Home Depot has to special order it, they do not stock.

While this was going on, I was walking through Home Depot one day and
came across a new product called R-13 "Thermal and Acoustical"
insulation. So I ask the same guy...what gives? He says, "that's just
regular insulation, and they market it as an acoustical product now".
OK, so what about the QuietZone product? "Oh, that's still the best
stuff, don't get that insulation, you want the QuietZone."

Then I call Owens Corning this morning to find out where I can buy the
stuff off the shelf. No clue, they say. They can not tell me where I
can buy the stuff stocked. I got to special order. Then the fun begins.
The OC customer service rep says... just buy the regular insulation,
its the same stuff. I was like, what are you talking about? And she
says hold, then comes back and says, yeah, I checked, just get regular
insulation, its the same exact stuff, just a different facing on it,
different packaging. I'm like...yeah, OK. Whatever, have a nice day

Then I go down to Home Depot to order the QuietZone product, because
the Home Depot guy seemed more sure of himself. Sounded fishy to me...
Then he has to call Owens Corning because the product numbers are not
available to him. Then he finds out that QuietZone is not available in
our area (Rochester NY). What? Yeah, they apprently only sell the stuff
in the south. Huh? OK... he's going to do some more checking.

So he makes some calls while I go buy some plywood and a door. Then he
comes and finds me with the "news"... Its the same stuff.

He talked to the customer service rep's manager, who then transferred
him to the Home Depot account rep or something. Same story. The
QuietZone product IS regular insulation, just packaged and marketed
differently !!

You see, people don't buy insulation in the south. So they package it
differently for a different application. A way to make more money is
what I am thinking, pulling the "wool" over the consumer's eyes, so to
speak (or their ears).

So the Home Depot guy says... we can special order the QuietZone, or
you can buy that "Thermal and Acoustical" insulation sitting on the
shelf. Its the same stuff, but you can take this home with you today,
and its cheaper.

I am not a happy camper. Owens Corning stringing all of us along with a
marketing ploy like this. And the Home Depot guy, what is he doing?
Probably just regurgitating what he learned in a QuietZone training
class. Spin city.

If only I could get Roxul to fit inbetween my joists...

Thought you might want to know...

kbmcdowell


It is quite common for a product to be marketed under various names, in
differing packaging, for differing uses, and/or in different areas.
There is nothing dishonest or misleading here; just marketing folks
trying to increase sales of their employer's products.

True if a product can be used effectively for
different uses. However, R-13 insulation batts do
nothing for reducing noise. My father thought
regular fiberglass insulation would reduce sound
transmission from a bathroom to add a degree of
privacy. Didn't do anything. Actually it is
pretty easy to tell whether regular insulation
does anything. Just go up in the attic and have
someone hollar up at you. Then lift a batt out of
the way (or move the blown in insulation to the
side and have them hollar up at you again. Course
you could just put some music on your Hi-Fi to
test the effect. Has hardly any effect.

  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
 
Posts: n/a
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

George E. Cawthon wrote:

... R-13 insulation batts do nothing for reducing noise.


What's that in dB?

Nick

  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
 
Posts: n/a
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

"Actually it is pretty easy to tell whether regular insulation
does anything. Just go up in the attic and have
someone hollar up at you. Then lift a batt out of
the way (or move the blown in insulation to the
side and have them hollar up at you again. Course
you could just put some music on your Hi-Fi to
test the effect. Has hardly any effect"

That it has some detectable effect at all would be fairly positive
proof that it does in fact work. For your test, you are only removing
one batt, a small percentage of the total insulation in the ceiling.
The rest is still there and contributing to the sound reduction. To do
the test right, you would have to remove all the insulation and then
measure the sound difference.



  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich
 
Posts: n/a
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy


wrote in message
...
George E. Cawthon wrote:

... R-13 insulation batts do nothing for reducing noise.


What's that in dB?

Nick



My son did a science experiment for school a few years back and I built a 5
zone box and we used different materials to stop noise and then we put an
alarm clock in each of the chambers and measured the sound out put with an
db meter. Fiberglass was one he used, sand, stones and others and solid 3/4"
plywood and the plywood did the best stopping the sound.

Rich


  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
kbmcdowell
 
Posts: n/a
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

Well, I am double 3-1/2-in insulating my entire bedroom seiling (400
sf) and then sheetrocking the whole thing (and then maybe hanging
suspended celing to boot). My 7-year old son plays upstairs in his
bedroom every morning before school, and I know how loud he is, so I
will report back once the insulation is in place. Just this morning he
was commenting on how he could hear mommy and daddy talking before we
went to bed, and his recollection was stunningly accurate. We'll just
see how much he can hear after I'm done...

  #8   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud
 
Posts: n/a
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy


kbmcdowell wrote:
Well, I am double 3-1/2-in insulating my entire bedroom seiling (400
sf) and then sheetrocking the whole thing (and then maybe hanging
suspended celing to boot). My 7-year old son plays upstairs in his
bedroom every morning before school, and I know how loud he is, so I
will report back once the insulation is in place. Just this morning he
was commenting on how he could hear mommy and daddy talking before we
went to bed, and his recollection was stunningly accurate. We'll just
see how much he can hear after I'm done...


The real question is what else has he heard mommy and daddy doing!

  #9   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art
 
Posts: n/a
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

Double sheetrock will help with noise.


"kbmcdowell" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey, I thought you guys would want to know this. I certainly am kinda
peeved about it, after doing like 10 hours of research on acoustic
products like Owens Corning's QuietZone. Here's the story:

I decided to acoustically insulate our bedroom ceiling, because our
children's rooms are right above us, and we get some noise. After a lot
of research, I decided to order Owens Corning's QuietZone acoustic
batts. I am also going to double sheetrock or put in a drop ceiling
with acoustic panels, but the QuietZone product seemed a perfect start,
and not too much money.

So my Home Depot sales guy seemed to know a lot about the product. Like
it is more dense than regular insulation, and has no "thermal" value,
ie, no R-value, it will allow heat to pass through. The only problem,
Home Depot has to special order it, they do not stock.

While this was going on, I was walking through Home Depot one day and
came across a new product called R-13 "Thermal and Acoustical"
insulation. So I ask the same guy...what gives? He says, "that's just
regular insulation, and they market it as an acoustical product now".
OK, so what about the QuietZone product? "Oh, that's still the best
stuff, don't get that insulation, you want the QuietZone."

Then I call Owens Corning this morning to find out where I can buy the
stuff off the shelf. No clue, they say. They can not tell me where I
can buy the stuff stocked. I got to special order. Then the fun begins.
The OC customer service rep says... just buy the regular insulation,
its the same stuff. I was like, what are you talking about? And she
says hold, then comes back and says, yeah, I checked, just get regular
insulation, its the same exact stuff, just a different facing on it,
different packaging. I'm like...yeah, OK. Whatever, have a nice day

Then I go down to Home Depot to order the QuietZone product, because
the Home Depot guy seemed more sure of himself. Sounded fishy to me...
Then he has to call Owens Corning because the product numbers are not
available to him. Then he finds out that QuietZone is not available in
our area (Rochester NY). What? Yeah, they apprently only sell the stuff
in the south. Huh? OK... he's going to do some more checking.

So he makes some calls while I go buy some plywood and a door. Then he
comes and finds me with the "news"... Its the same stuff.

He talked to the customer service rep's manager, who then transferred
him to the Home Depot account rep or something. Same story. The
QuietZone product IS regular insulation, just packaged and marketed
differently !!

You see, people don't buy insulation in the south. So they package it
differently for a different application. A way to make more money is
what I am thinking, pulling the "wool" over the consumer's eyes, so to
speak (or their ears).

So the Home Depot guy says... we can special order the QuietZone, or
you can buy that "Thermal and Acoustical" insulation sitting on the
shelf. Its the same stuff, but you can take this home with you today,
and its cheaper.

I am not a happy camper. Owens Corning stringing all of us along with a
marketing ploy like this. And the Home Depot guy, what is he doing?
Probably just regurgitating what he learned in a QuietZone training
class. Spin city.

If only I could get Roxul to fit inbetween my joists...

Thought you might want to know...

kbmcdowell



  #10   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
 
Posts: n/a
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

next, OC will find a way to sell ice to Alaskans!

Dave



  #11   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn
 
Posts: n/a
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy



Well, I am double 3-1/2-in insulating my entire bedroom seiling (400
sf) and then sheetrocking the whole thing (and then maybe hanging
suspended celing to boot). My 7-year old son plays upstairs in his
bedroom every morning before school, and I know how loud he is, so I
will report back once the insulation is in place. Just this morning he
was commenting on how he could hear mommy and daddy talking before we
went to bed, and his recollection was stunningly accurate. We'll just
see how much he can hear after I'm done...


Instead of just sheetrocking, put up a layer of asphalt roll-roofing
first, then put lathe crosswise to the joists, and put the sheetrock
up on that.


  #12   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown
 
Posts: n/a
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy


"Rich" wrote in message
g.com...

wrote in message
...
George E. Cawthon wrote:

... R-13 insulation batts do nothing for reducing noise.


What's that in dB?

Nick



My son did a science experiment for school a few years back and I built a
5 zone box and we used different materials to stop noise and then we put
an alarm clock in each of the chambers and measured the sound out put with
an db meter. Fiberglass was one he used, sand, stones and others and solid
3/4" plywood and the plywood did the best stopping the sound.

Rich


Y'all expect too much from insulation. It is only PART of a noise reduction
wall system.

The R-13 stuff is so labeled mostly because it is for 2x4 walls which are
uncommon for exterior walls except in the southeast and west coast.

I put it in some walls in a bedroom remodel. Thogh it does not silence the
livingroom TV, it makes it so I can't understand the dialog and now I can
listen to a different program without competing.





  #13   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

replying to kbmcdowell, Josef wrote:
All it takes is for one element of a sound transmission prevention project to
be overlooked and the effectiveness of all the other elements are diminished.
This is evident when what was done so far does not reduce the sound
transmission.
It is similiar to the total package that is the building thermal insulation
and building envelope that can be defeated by an opening that allows
infiltration and ex filtration. Just an eighth inch gap left open is enough to
defeat the project.
It is more than just bats of insulation, it is the whole system.


--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...loy-53108-.htm


  #14   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 810
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

And you missed one elment, that being the date of the post.
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 900
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

mako wrote: "And you missed one elment, that being the date of the post. "

It's old. So what. Boo hoo.


  #16   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

Quiet zone covers more area. 110sq ft vs 96sq ft batts are longer- slightly.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...loy-53108-.htm

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"