Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

"Rich" wrote in message
g.com...

wrote in message
George E. Cawthon wrote:

... R-13 insulation batts do nothing for reducing noise.

What's that in dB?

Nick

My son did a science experiment for school a few years back and I built a
5 zone box and we used different materials to stop noise and then we put
an alarm clock in each of the chambers and measured the sound out put with
an db meter. Fiberglass was one he used, sand, stones and others and solid
3/4" plywood and the plywood did the best stopping the sound.

Rich

Y'all expect too much from insulation. It is only PART of a noise reduction
wall system.

The R-13 stuff is so labeled mostly because it is for 2x4 walls which are
uncommon for exterior walls except in the southeast and west coast.

I put it in some walls in a bedroom remodel. Thogh it does not silence the
livingroom TV, it makes it so I can't understand the dialog and now I can
listen to a different program without competing.