Posted to alt.home.repair
Dennis Turner

Default Owens Corning QuietZone -- marketing ploy

On 11/17/2005 6:26 PM or thereabouts, kbmcdowell appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

Hey, I thought you guys would want to know this. I certainly am kinda
peeved about it, after doing like 10 hours of research on acoustic
products like Owens Corning's QuietZone. Here's the story:

I decided to acoustically insulate our bedroom ceiling, because our
children's rooms are right above us, and we get some noise. After a lot
of research, I decided to order Owens Corning's QuietZone acoustic
batts. I am also going to double sheetrock or put in a drop ceiling
with acoustic panels, but the QuietZone product seemed a perfect start,
and not too much money.

So my Home Depot sales guy seemed to know a lot about the product. Like
it is more dense than regular insulation, and has no "thermal" value,
ie, no R-value, it will allow heat to pass through. The only problem,
Home Depot has to special order it, they do not stock.

While this was going on, I was walking through Home Depot one day and
came across a new product called R-13 "Thermal and Acoustical"
insulation. So I ask the same guy...what gives? He says, "that's just
regular insulation, and they market it as an acoustical product now".
OK, so what about the QuietZone product? "Oh, that's still the best
stuff, don't get that insulation, you want the QuietZone."

Then I call Owens Corning this morning to find out where I can buy the
stuff off the shelf. No clue, they say. They can not tell me where I
can buy the stuff stocked. I got to special order. Then the fun begins.
The OC customer service rep says... just buy the regular insulation,
its the same stuff. I was like, what are you talking about? And she
says hold, then comes back and says, yeah, I checked, just get regular
insulation, its the same exact stuff, just a different facing on it,
different packaging. I'm like...yeah, OK. Whatever, have a nice day

Then I go down to Home Depot to order the QuietZone product, because
the Home Depot guy seemed more sure of himself. Sounded fishy to me...
Then he has to call Owens Corning because the product numbers are not
available to him. Then he finds out that QuietZone is not available in
our area (Rochester NY). What? Yeah, they apprently only sell the stuff
in the south. Huh? OK... he's going to do some more checking.

So he makes some calls while I go buy some plywood and a door. Then he
comes and finds me with the "news"... Its the same stuff.

He talked to the customer service rep's manager, who then transferred
him to the Home Depot account rep or something. Same story. The
QuietZone product IS regular insulation, just packaged and marketed
differently !!

You see, people don't buy insulation in the south. So they package it
differently for a different application. A way to make more money is
what I am thinking, pulling the "wool" over the consumer's eyes, so to
speak (or their ears).

So the Home Depot guy says... we can special order the QuietZone, or
you can buy that "Thermal and Acoustical" insulation sitting on the
shelf. Its the same stuff, but you can take this home with you today,
and its cheaper.

I am not a happy camper. Owens Corning stringing all of us along with a
marketing ploy like this. And the Home Depot guy, what is he doing?
Probably just regurgitating what he learned in a QuietZone training
class. Spin city.

If only I could get Roxul to fit inbetween my joists...

Thought you might want to know...

kbmcdowell

It is quite common for a product to be marketed under various names, in
differing packaging, for differing uses, and/or in different areas.
There is nothing dishonest or misleading here; just marketing folks
trying to increase sales of their employer's products.

--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.