Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
DHD DHD is offline

Default Sewer Line Problems

I own a 1920s house in Columbia SC and have recently developed sewer
line problems. Two months ago, following a rain, sewage backed up
into the basement through a floor drain. It happened again last week,
again after a huge rain storm. I'm assuming there is a break in the
line, that it might be terra cotta pipe or cast iron (as it is inside
the basement). The sewer must be 10-12 feet below grade. It connects
to the city line some 50 feet from the house.

I'm hiring someone to snake a camera down the line and pinpoint the
nature and location of the problem. I call it a sewer colonoscopy.
I'm told this is money well spent if it can clearly locate the
problem.

What am I in for here in terms of expense? I'm assuming the worst,
that the pipe is old, terra cotta, and that it will need to be
completely replaced. 50 ft x 12 feet deep

I trust the plumbing company that I've been working with, but I want
to know their bid is competitive and fair.

I welcome your advice.
--Don

Sewer line angles Eigenvector Home Repair 11 January 17th 07 02:44 AM
Roots in sewer line? Walt Home Repair 12 April 22nd 06 08:54 PM
Running a new sewer line J.A. Michel Home Repair 9 September 12th 05 08:20 PM
sewer line replacement jeff Home Repair 11 September 2nd 03 02:17 AM
Sewer line replacement jeff Home Ownership 1 August 27th 03 03:24 AM