Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Sewer Line Problems

If you are not having any sewer problems except a back up in heavy
rain, why replace the line?

I think you would be better served to install a backwater valve.
Make sure you use one that can be serviced from the surface. Here
is an example:
http://www.cleancheck.com/about.htm

We installed two on a troublesome line this past summer and they
have behaved flawlessly.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"DHD" wrote in message
oups.com...
The "outdoor colonoscopy" should tell me what is going on. A
broken
clay pipe, or possible root invasion, is certainly likely. But
here is
what puzzles me: why does this backup problem occur only after
big
rains? How is the rain water causing the back up? Why, after
the
rain stops, doesn't the drain take the water and sewage away
again?

I am not planning to dig a 10-12 feet trench and replace pipe.
As a
plumber I make a pretty good college professor! I am wondering
what
it will cost me to replace, let's say 50 ft of sewer pipe in the
worst
case scenario. Any thoughts? I'm guessing $5k.

Thanks for any advice on these questions.
--Don