Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Sewer Line Problems

Anyway, this "sock" scenario is interesting, as we have already lost one
pipe, and neighbors with the same set-up have had to dig. Is this a
"permanent" type of fix, which could avoid us having to dig and replace,
or is it a duct-tape type of fix? Can anyone give some price figures on
the various scenarios, pay out for the whole job vs. dig it yourself vs.
sock, for say 25ft from the house to the street. From the couple I've seen
dug, it's not too far down, as we're on a slab, not more than 6ft, more
like 3-4ft.

And when you say "dig the trench yourself," you mean rent a piece of
machinery and actually dig the trench oneself? How do you know exactly
where to dig, and where not to dig? How likely is one to kill, maim, or
injure oneself or others while doing this? It seems like the kind of thing
the average person should not be allowed to do...

Karen

Socks and another technique called pipe bursting are usually used when
digging would be prohibited like when a pipe runs under a building. The
average person can do a lot if he wishes.