Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I disconnect a light fixture

How do disconnect a light fixture on a wall (in my house)? I have
hard wired, wall switched, wall sconces that I want to take down (and
cover with a picture).

Shutting off the breaker and disconnecting the wires is obvious, but
what do I do with them? I want to leave the switches alone and
simply "tie-off" the power to the lights, leaving the wiring where it
is in the wall. But I don't want to leave a hot spot in the wall if
the switch gets left in the on position. How do I do this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
How do disconnect a light fixture on a wall (in my house)? I have
hard wired, wall switched, wall sconces that I want to take down (and
cover with a picture).

Shutting off the breaker and disconnecting the wires is obvious, but
what do I do with them? I want to leave the switches alone and
simply "tie-off" the power to the lights, leaving the wiring where it
is in the wall. But I don't want to leave a hot spot in the wall if
the switch gets left in the on position. How do I do this?

Put some electrical tape or wire connectors on the ends of the wires. Get
blank wall plates to put on over the in-wall boxes. As an extra precaution
you can disconnect the load wire off of the switches, but it shouldn't be
necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just stick wire nuts over the ends of the wires.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
ups.com...
How do disconnect a light fixture on a wall (in my house)? I have
hard wired, wall switched, wall sconces that I want to take down (and
cover with a picture).

Shutting off the breaker and disconnecting the wires is obvious, but
what do I do with them? I want to leave the switches alone and
simply "tie-off" the power to the lights, leaving the wiring where it
is in the wall. But I don't want to leave a hot spot in the wall if
the switch gets left in the on position. How do I do this?

Light/Fan Fixture Brian Staff Home Repair 5 November 13th 06 12:22 PM
Grounding a light fixture Kurt Ullman Home Repair 1 August 13th 06 07:55 PM
Light fixture with outlet? [email protected] Home Repair 14 November 24th 05 12:43 PM
Light Fixture Corinne Home Repair 9 November 10th 05 05:02 AM
Light Fixture Will No barry martin Home Repair 3 February 23rd 04 10:17 PM