Posted to alt.home.repair

Default owl in our attic

how do we get an owl out of our new attic in our new home? We can
hear it but are afraid to look for it

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
how do we get an owl out of our new attic in our new home? We can
hear it but are afraid to look for it

Why do you give a hoot?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/w...st/6408597.stm

You can tell if it's a blonde owl if it says "What? What?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 4:39 pm, wrote:
how do we get an owl out of our new attic in our new home? We can
hear it but are afraid to look for it

How do you know it's an owl? Find out where it enters then close
that off when it is out hunting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 16:53:47 -0600, "HeyBub"

how do we get an owl out of our new attic in our new home? We can
hear it but are afraid to look for it

Why do you give a hoot?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/w...st/6408597.stm

"Some of the buildings will be adapted to provide amenities for local
fishermen - including a cold store, ice-making machine, crab and fish
processing unit, a cold storage space for bait, and a net repair
room."

I see they don't mention and amemities for the owls. Speciesist pigs!

You can tell if it's a blonde owl if it says "What? What?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
how do we get an owl out of our new attic in our new home? We can
hear it but are afraid to look for it

Afraid of what? Are you a mouse, chipmunk, or other owl menu favorite?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Mar 2007 14:39:21 -0800, wrote:

how do we get an owl out of our new attic in our new home? We can
hear it but are afraid to look for it

We had this problem in an old carriage house that we wee renovating. I did
stick my head up through the access I was creating and Mr. Owl let me know he
was home by doing a full wing sweep around the attic. He had a wing span of at
least six feet.

After consulting wit the aviary people at the Philadelphia Zoo and a member of
the local Audubon Society, we took the following steps:

First, make the environment owl unfriendly. That meant putting a light in the
attic I think we used some kind of work light clamped to a roof truss. The
light was on for about two weeks.

Second, during daylight hours, I slid a claxon horn up into the attic. I ran it
intermittently for about a half an hour.

The owl was not there when I finally went up.

This particular attic had a very large vent that the critters had managed to
break through.The wooden portion was replaced and backed up with window screen
to keep out the bugs, a layer of half inch mesh for overall rigidity and
finally a layer of 2x4 mesh for real strength.

The biggest problem after evicting the unwanted guest was removing the nest. It
was semicircular with a radius of about three feet and almost four feet high,
built of good sized sticks and other yard debris.

When removing the nest, be sure to wear protective clothing, gloves and a dust
mask. The nest and its contents can be very disgusting.

__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 6:27 pm, "Lawrence" wrote:
On Mar 3, 4:39 pm, wrote:

how do we get an owl out of our new attic in our new home? We can
hear it but are afraid to look for it

How do you know it's an owl? Find out where it enters then close
that off when it is out hunting.

That's the best solution, it referred to as "exclusion" in the pest
control business. I've done a lot of bat jobs, no owls, but I'd think
a similar premise would be the best bet.

Watch for that sucker to leave, then close the hole. I don't think
owls have eggs in the nest this time of year, so it shouldn't be
aggressive.
-----
- gpsman

Dog Barks at Owl B Home Repair 22 January 6th 21 03:01 AM
Attic Fan, Whole House Fan, Pressurizing Attic? Scott Townsend Home Repair 3 August 26th 09 04:30 PM
Owl helps with rodent control HeyBub Home Repair 2 February 3rd 07 01:48 AM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Repair 7 March 31st 04 03:24 AM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Ownership 3 March 30th 04 06:21 PM