Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Waller Bill Waller is offline

Default owl in our attic

On 3 Mar 2007 14:39:21 -0800, wrote:

how do we get an owl out of our new attic in our new home? We can
hear it but are afraid to look for it

We had this problem in an old carriage house that we wee renovating. I did
stick my head up through the access I was creating and Mr. Owl let me know he
was home by doing a full wing sweep around the attic. He had a wing span of at
least six feet.

After consulting wit the aviary people at the Philadelphia Zoo and a member of
the local Audubon Society, we took the following steps:

First, make the environment owl unfriendly. That meant putting a light in the
attic I think we used some kind of work light clamped to a roof truss. The
light was on for about two weeks.

Second, during daylight hours, I slid a claxon horn up into the attic. I ran it
intermittently for about a half an hour.

The owl was not there when I finally went up.

This particular attic had a very large vent that the critters had managed to
break through.The wooden portion was replaced and backed up with window screen
to keep out the bugs, a layer of half inch mesh for overall rigidity and
finally a layer of 2x4 mesh for real strength.

The biggest problem after evicting the unwanted guest was removing the nest. It
was semicircular with a radius of about three feet and almost four feet high,
built of good sized sticks and other yard debris.

When removing the nest, be sure to wear protective clothing, gloves and a dust
mask. The nest and its contents can be very disgusting.

Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA