Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

Default Silencing a door once and for all!!

Dear NG,
Next month in N.Y.C. housing court I will finally have the opportunity
to get a correction in writing regarding a neighbors door that is been
a violation of my warrant of habitability for years. Can any of you
please recommend a course of action that would render a heavy steel
door closing into a heavy steel doorframe complete silent?? Even when
closed in a thoughtful manner its still a problem. This is my big
chance and I don't want to blow it.
Thanks in advance!!

ed

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

"slakka" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dear NG,
Next month in N.Y.C. housing court I will finally have the opportunity
to get a correction in writing regarding a neighbors door that is been
a violation of my warrant of habitability for years. Can any of you
please recommend a course of action that would render a heavy steel
door closing into a heavy steel doorframe complete silent?? Even when
closed in a thoughtful manner its still a problem. This is my big
chance and I don't want to blow it.
Thanks in advance!!

ed

Define "closed in a thoughtful manner", and describe the sound when that is
done.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

"slakka" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dear NG,
Next month in N.Y.C. housing court I will finally have the opportunity
to get a correction in writing regarding a neighbors door that is been
a violation of my warrant of habitability for years. Can any of you
please recommend a course of action that would render a heavy steel
door closing into a heavy steel doorframe complete silent?? Even when
closed in a thoughtful manner its still a problem. This is my big
chance and I don't want to blow it.

Good doors have a gasket that prevents the metal to metal contact.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

slakka wrote:
Dear NG,
Next month in N.Y.C. housing court I will finally have the opportunity
to get a correction in writing regarding a neighbors door that is been
a violation of my warrant of habitability for years. Can any of you
please recommend a course of action that would render a heavy steel
door closing into a heavy steel doorframe complete silent?? Even when
closed in a thoughtful manner its still a problem. This is my big
chance and I don't want to blow it.
Thanks in advance!!

Earplugs. Fifty cents.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

In article . com, "slakka" wrote:

Dear NG,
Next month in N.Y.C. housing court I will finally have the opportunity
to get a correction in writing regarding a neighbors door that is been
a violation of my warrant of habitability for years. Can any of you
please recommend a course of action that would render a heavy steel
door closing into a heavy steel doorframe complete silent?? Even when
closed in a thoughtful manner its still a problem. This is my big
chance and I don't want to blow it.

1. A rubber (or similar) gasket covering every point that the
door makes contact with the frame.
2. A hydraulic damper to prevent the door being closed too
hard and sending vibrations through the surrounding
structure.
3. Sound deadening material fixed to the faces of the door
to dampen vibrations in the door itself.
4. Lubrication for the handle, latch, lock, hinges to
prevent squeaks.

Alternatively:

1. Close door.
2. Weld door to frame.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

On Feb 24, 6:02 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
slakka wrote:
Dear NG,
Next month in N.Y.C. housing court I will finally have the opportunity
to get a correction in writing regarding a neighbors door that is been
a violation of my warrant of habitability for years. Can any of you
please recommend a course of action that would render a heavy steel
door closing into a heavy steel doorframe complete silent?? Even when
closed in a thoughtful manner its still a problem. This is my big
chance and I don't want to blow it.
Thanks in advance!!

Earplugs. Fifty cents.

Define "closed in a thoughtful manner", and describe the sound when
that is
done.

Even when not slammed shut its still makes an impact that's
disturbing. Earplugs don't help.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house
EXT EXT is offline

All steel doors, especially with steel frames come with a gasket or at
minimum, rubber bumpers on the frame to contact the door. If whatever
resilient material the door was built with, it should be replaced with
replacement items to the manufacturer's design. A closer would also help.

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article . com,
"slakka" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

"slakka" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 24, 6:02 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
slakka wrote:
Dear NG,
Next month in N.Y.C. housing court I will finally have the opportunity
to get a correction in writing regarding a neighbors door that is been
a violation of my warrant of habitability for years. Can any of you
please recommend a course of action that would render a heavy steel
door closing into a heavy steel doorframe complete silent?? Even when
closed in a thoughtful manner its still a problem. This is my big
chance and I don't want to blow it.
Thanks in advance!!

Earplugs. Fifty cents.

Define "closed in a thoughtful manner", and describe the sound when
that is
done.

Even when not slammed shut its still makes an impact that's
disturbing. Earplugs don't help.

OK. Pay attention to what others here have said about padding which should
have been installed with the door. If you don't understand what they mean,
ask.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

In article .com, "slakka" wrote:
On Feb 24, 6:02 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
slakka wrote:
Dear NG,
Next month in N.Y.C. housing court I will finally have the opportunity
to get a correction in writing regarding a neighbors door that is been
a violation of my warrant of habitability for years. Can any of you
please recommend a course of action that would render a heavy steel
door closing into a heavy steel doorframe complete silent?? Even when
closed in a thoughtful manner its still a problem. This is my big
chance and I don't want to blow it.
Thanks in advance!!

Earplugs. Fifty cents.

Define "closed in a thoughtful manner", and describe the sound when
that is
done.

Even when not slammed shut its still makes an impact that's
disturbing. Earplugs don't help.

If this could be characterized as a vibration that you can
"feel" versus a sound that you can hear...

I suggest the closing door is causing vibrations within the
frame and/or surrounding structure. In that case, you really
need a hydraulic closer/damper, unless you want to replace
frame and surrounding structure. The closer, if properly
installed and adjusted will make it impossible to close
the door in anything other than a very gentle manner.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

On Feb 24, 7:16 pm, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article .com, "slakka" wrote:

On Feb 24, 6:02 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
slakka wrote:
[...]

Right a closer. Isn't that called a Rixon/Rixen?

| Gary Player. |
|http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house
mm mm is offline

On 24 Feb 2007 14:42:48 -0800, "slakka" wrote:

Dear NG,
Next month in N.Y.C. housing court I will finally have the opportunity
to get a correction in writing regarding a neighbors door that is been
a violation of my warrant of habitability for years. Can any of you
please recommend a course of action that would render a heavy steel
door closing into a heavy steel doorframe complete silent?? Even when
closed in a thoughtful manner its still a problem. This is my big
chance and I don't want to blow it.
Thanks in advance!!

ed

This is the neighbor's door to the hall? Most doors like that have
springs built into the hinges. Required by law, I think.

Do you have the same landlord?

You're only asking how to quiet the existing door, right? Not for a
new door.

I think it is rare that a door is completely silent, and I don't think
you are really asking for that. I think you want it silent from your
pov in your own apartment. That was the case with me, in the four
different apartment buildings I lived in in Brooklyn, and others I
visited. I rarely if ever heard another door in the building shut.

Yet I'm sure if I were in the hall, or right next to the door, I would
have heard the door almost every time.

So don't look like a fool in court by asking for completely silent. If
you come off looking like you are asking for the impossible, they may
take your valid complaint a bit less seriously. Ask that they install
the proper padding, as described in these other posts here, and
perhaps a hydraulic door closer if there is some reason why just the
padding is not enough, and if the neighbor landlord does that to the
door, it will be as silent as you need it to be.

Also go see how other doors are built, especially doors similiar to
the problem one, how they prevent excessive noise.

I'm surprised this couldn't have been worked out without going to
court. Is the tenant or his landlord antagonistic?

Have you talked to any of the volunteer tenants' groups that used to
be in NYC andf probably still are, about what is the best solution and
what you can reasonably expect the court to do. Somewhere I have a
book that discusses landlord-tenant law in NYC, although I was mostly
concerned about other things, and I don't remember what if any it said
about noise. I think it was published by a tenants group in NY
(Manhattan).
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

In article .com, "slakka" wrote:

I suggest the closing door is causing vibrations within the
frame and/or surrounding structure. In that case, you really
need a hydraulic closer/damper, unless you want to replace
frame and surrounding structure. The closer, if properly
installed and adjusted will make it impossible to close
the door in anything other than a very gentle manner.

Right a closer. Isn't that called a Rixon/Rixen?

Rixon is one brand. A major one, I think.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

He might also want to stop into a hardware store. A real one, not Home
Despot or Lowe's. Many problems can be solved for under $5.00, with
unexpected ideas & materials.

But, never mind. It's better not to try.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

anews.com...

"slakka" wrote:

Dear NG,
Next month in N.Y.C. housing court I will finally have the opportunity
to get a correction in writing regarding a neighbors door that is been
a violation of my warrant of habitability for years. Can any of you
please recommend a course of action that would render a heavy steel
door closing into a heavy steel doorframe complete silent??

snip
I believe this posters solution is saying that the original gasket material
eventually compresses or is torn off and must be replaced with the original
type of material.

Another course is to contact the manufacturer or dealer of the door and ask
the same question. That way you have another offering for the judge to base
his decision. You should be able to find the name of the manufacturer on
the edge of the door or stamped on the hinge plate. If not, call any door
dealer with the same questions. 1)Can you hel me fisx this door and 2) What
do your doors offer in quiet closing and what's the cost of it installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tv.this-old-house

anews.com...

"slakka" wrote:

[...]

do your doors offer in quiet closing and what's the cost of it installed.- Hide quoted text -

Brand reads "Maxtchem" but I can't google any info on them. Maybe im
misspelling?