Dave Harnish

Default Silencing Dishwasher Door Springs

Hi Chip,

Some of these do this more than others and I'm not 100% sure why.
Many of them I see in my travels make the noise you're talking about.
I just tried my own '97 Whirlpool here, and the springs're absolutely
noiseless.

I always grease the spring hooks. Older machines had little nylon insulators
on the hinge connect points and that seemed to work. I always apply a
bit of grease to spring hooks before I put them on, mostly to prevent the
hooks from breaking. I thought it might help with the noise too, until I
carefully reread your post and see you already did that.

I'd probably go with Dan's suggestion and try new ones just for curiosity's
sake. They're not that expensive. We get around $8 for the standard
675611 kits. Includes one spring & pass-thru rod/adjuster hook. Check
your parts list, or send me your model # and I can look 'em up for you.

I'd be interested in learning how this works out for you, bc I know I'll run
into the question again. Please let me know.

--
God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA

570-363-2404

I'm a 30-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what
I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter:
www.DavesRepair.com

Acts 4:12

"Chip Wilson" wrote in message
My wife swears that when we moved into the house, the dishwasher door
opened and closed silently. Frankly, I don't remember. Two years later,
when the dishwasher door is opened or closed, you can hear the springs
making an annoying spring stretch sound. The dishwasher is a very new
Kenmore (made by Whirlpool). I've removed the access panel, greased the
springs in axle grease, lubed all points where they hook, even tried
encasing them in a cut piece of bicycle innertube. Nothing works. No
matter what I do, I cannot get the door to open and close silently. If
anything, I may have made it slightly quieter. But it still makes a

sound.
In looking at the springs as they stretch when the door is lowered, they
seem to rotate ever so slightly as they are stretched. And that's when

the
sound is generated. They aren't rubbing up against anything that I can
tell. The door itself doesn't make a sound, because if I disengage the
springs, the door operates silently. So how can I get silent springs? Do
they make springs that don't make a sound when stretched?