Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile Grout Question

A few years ago, I had ceramic tile installed in my house. In several places
the grout is cracking where it meets the baseboards (it's fine everywhere
else). I have tried regrouting those areas but they crack again. One
solution I thought of it to find a caulk that's close in color to that of
the grout and put the caulk in the cracks, being careful not to overdo it.
But first I'd like to ask if anyone has other ideas. I realize that the
ideal way to install the tile would have been to remove the baseboards first
and then put the baseboards back on top of the tile, but that isn't how it
was done. Thanks.

Ross

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 16:19:14 -0500, "Ross Payne"
wrote:

A few years ago, I had ceramic tile installed in my house. In several places
the grout is cracking where it meets the baseboards (it's fine everywhere
else). I have tried regrouting those areas but they crack again. One
solution I thought of it to find a caulk that's close in color to that of
the grout and put the caulk in the cracks, being careful not to overdo it.
But first I'd like to ask if anyone has other ideas. I realize that the
ideal way to install the tile would have been to remove the baseboards first
and then put the baseboards back on top of the tile, but that isn't how it
was done. Thanks.

Ross

Perhaps you can add more water to the grout, make it more liquid and
pour it on to fill these few areas.

--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 4:19 pm, "Ross Payne" wrote:
A few years ago, I had ceramic tile installed in my house. In several places
the grout is cracking where it meets the baseboards (it's fine everywhere
else). I have tried regrouting those areas but they crack again. One
solution I thought of it to find a caulk that's close in color to that of
the grout and put the caulk in the cracks, being careful not to overdo it.

Silicone caulk is probably the way to go. It sounds as if you already
know caulking ain't as easy as it looks on tv. You might *drag* a
credit card-sized piece of plastic dipped in water from the corners
inward to smooth and remove any excess, followed by a wet finger,
followed by a damp rag, followed by a wet finger, until you achieve
the desired result.

Less is more, as long as the joint is filled.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ross Payne" wrote in message
A few years ago, I had ceramic tile installed in my house. In several
places the grout is cracking where it meets the baseboards (it's fine
everywhere else). I have tried regrouting those areas but they crack again.
One solution I thought of it to find a caulk that's close in color to that
of the grout and put the caulk in the cracks, being careful not to overdo
it. But first I'd like to ask if anyone has other ideas. I realize that the
ideal way to install the tile would have been to remove the baseboards
first and then put the baseboards back on top of the tile, but that isn't
how it was done. Thanks.

If all the cracks are close to the baseboard, I'd caulk them. Don't try a
touch-up job ... caulk that joint continuously.

1/ Use a color that is as close to the grout as you can find.
2/ Use water-base caulk.
3/ Wet the joint with a damp rag, before caulking.
4/ Trim the joint with a wet finger after caulking.
5/ Wipe the joint with a wet rag as a last step.

Practice on one section. You can easily remove it with a wet rag and start
over. If you are not good at these kinds of tasks, hire a handyman.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ross Payne" wrote in message
Thanks. By "water-base" do you mean one without silicone (i.e., straight
latex, painter's caulk)?

The labels can be confusing. You have to read the whole thing (on the side
of the tube). If it states water clean-up, you are good to go. Or, go to a
decent paint store and ask for help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't guess you know what brand of grout you have. The grout in my
new house has color matched caulks. Go on line and look.

I recommend you use a silicon based caulk, not 100% silicone. Regular
caulk is porous and will stain after a couple years, the color will
change as the dirt gets impregnated in it. If you can get a good
steady run going with the caulk gun, don't even use your finger to
smooth it out. Leave the pretty little bead there. A bead of caulk
will rarely crack whereas when you smooth it out to a flat or concave
surface, it will have more of a tendency to crack, especially if its
outdoors.

The grout is not going to stick to the baseboard. I have the same
problem in my shower. It has very nice shiny large tiles and they
grouted the bottom where the fiberglas base and the tile meet, it's
already cracking after 1 year. I will be shopping for the caulk
myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ross Payne" wrote in message
A few years ago, I had ceramic tile installed in my house. In several
places the grout is cracking where it meets the baseboards (it's fine
everywhere else). I have tried regrouting those areas but they crack again.
One solution I thought of it to find a caulk that's close in color to that
of the grout and put the caulk in the cracks, being careful not to overdo
it. But first I'd like to ask if anyone has other ideas. I realize that the
ideal way to install the tile would have been to remove the baseboards
first and then put the baseboards back on top of the tile, but that isn't
how it was done. Thanks.

You could try installing shoe molding to cover the problem area.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

The area where my bathtub and ceramic tile meets have the same issue.
We just opted to use clear silicone. Due to the weight of the water
causing the tub to shift/expand a small crack does form at that joint.
But I can clearly see the silicone coating is completely intact.
Leaves me with some peace of mind.
-ben

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ross Payne wrote:

A few years ago, I had ceramic tile installed in my house. In several places
the grout is cracking where it meets the baseboards (it's fine everywhere
else). I have tried regrouting those areas but they crack again. One
solution I thought of it to find a caulk that's close in color to that of
the grout and put the caulk in the cracks, being careful not to overdo it.
But first I'd like to ask if anyone has other ideas. I realize that the
ideal way to install the tile would have been to remove the baseboards first
and then put the baseboards back on top of the tile, but that isn't how it
was done. Thanks.

Ross

I doubt you will be able to keep grout that is touching the baseboard
from cracking. And I sure would not slap caulk on top of grout. We had
baseboards and trim undercut prior to installing our 3 rooms of tile.
When tiling was all done, I put paintable caulk around the joint,
masking very carefully to keep caulk from oozing under the tape and onto
the grout. You might be able to use a grout bit or small grinder the
clean out the joint up to the baseboard, then caulk and repaint the
baseboard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 1:47 am, "Ben" wrote:
The area where my bathtub and ceramic tile meets have the same issue.
We just opted to use clear silicone. Due to the weight of the water
causing the tub to shift/expand a small crack does form at that joint.

Yeah, the old tile setter's "trick" is to fill the tub and sit on the
tub edge while you caulk, and leave the water in there 24 hours.
-----

- gpsman

Tile grout TheWanderer Home Repair 6 February 7th 07 03:30 AM
Ceramic Tile/ Grout question yourname Home Repair 2 July 28th 06 05:45 AM
tile grout question SeaKan Home Repair 6 March 15th 06 05:08 PM
grout-only sealant versus tile-and-grout sealant? peter Home Repair 2 May 10th 05 05:13 AM
Sealing Tile Grout Vince Home Repair 1 April 27th 05 06:11 PM