Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low Voltage Ceiling Fan

I installed a ceiling fan (with a light fixture) in my house (along
with a universal fan remote) that came with a fan hookup.

It had been working well for the past 6 months, but, now suddenly it
seems to be not working properly.

The high setting of the fan is very slow and the light is very dull
(almost like a night lamp though its around 200 w total).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If there are any pull chain switches on the fan, be sure they are set to
"hi". You could also try to reset the transmitter and receiver

"newbee" wrote in message
ps.com...
I installed a ceiling fan (with a light fixture) in my house (along
with a universal fan remote) that came with a fan hookup.

It had been working well for the past 6 months, but, now suddenly it
seems to be not working properly.

The high setting of the fan is very slow and the light is very dull
(almost like a night lamp though its around 200 w total).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 24, 12:21 pm, "newbee" wrote:
I installed a ceiling fan (with a light fixture) in my house (along
with a universal fan remote) that came with a fan hookup.

It had been working well for the past 6 months, but, now suddenly it
seems to be not working properly.

The high setting of the fan is very slow and the light is very dull
(almost like a night lamp though its around 200 w total).

Any thoughts?

Immediate reaction from here is that you may have a wire nut that has
worked loose given the dim 200W lamp. Try accessing the input wirung
and snug it all up tight. A typical problem with high wattage lamp
sockets, though, is that the center terminal sags under the heat and
lessens the contact and makes the light dim. In more unusual cases a
reallty cheap socket will undergo partial failure from the molded
plastic distorting. The remedy is to replace the socket with a robust
china type from any good electrical distributor. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 1:34 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
If there are any pull chain switches on the fan, be sure they are set to
"hi". You could also try to reset the transmitter and receiver

"newbee" wrote in message

ps.com...

I installed a ceiling fan (with a light fixture) in my house (along
with a universal fan remote) that came with a fan hookup.

It had been working well for the past 6 months, but, now suddenly it
seems to be not working properly.

The high setting of the fan is very slow and the light is very dull
(almost like a night lamp though its around 200 w total).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

SR.

Thanks. That certainly brought the fan speed back to normal.

The lights are still very dim.

How do I reset the transmitter/receiver? I had a spare remote that I
bought for another room and I set it to this code and tried to use
it. That didn't improve the light intensity.

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Resetting these things varies. I think you'd need to find the instructions
that came with the devices.
There is no wall dimming control in this circuit that may be affecting the
lights?

"newbee" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 24, 1:34 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
If there are any pull chain switches on the fan, be sure they are set to
"hi". You could also try to reset the transmitter and receiver

ps.com...

Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
MR16 - low voltage or line voltage [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 11th 06 06:24 PM
Low voltage lights - voltage drop/cable size [email protected] UK diy 2 October 31st 05 09:54 AM
Low voltage lighting and extractor fan off dimmer switch? [email protected] UK diy 4 April 30th 05 03:16 PM
low voltage lights. what do you do about insulating the ceiling? The Natural Philosopher UK diy 0 September 22nd 03 08:38 PM