Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light bulbs and hi-hat covers

A few questions on hi hat lights.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000579.jpg

I have these exterior hi hats all the way up there, over 20 feet tall. I
know there are light bulb grabbers that can change the bulbs, but I have to
pull off these spring loaded covers before I can change them. How do I get
up there? A very tall ladder? I have to sort of search out to change it
even with a tall ladder and I don't feel comfortable doing it, not keeping
good balance and it's not easy to remove the cover which has two clamps on
each side. Any idea?

Since I have a row of these along the eave, on each side and also along the
interior corridor. There are like 48 bulbs I need to change. The cost of
light bulbs add up real quick, I was going to get regular bulbs at $2-$3 a
piece, but then I saw these flourescent bulbs that sells for $7 for a set of
4.

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...48582304_3.jpg

The box says it's 60W...so I am tempted, but there was another guy there
said these bulbs are not bright compared to the incandescent and they
flicker a lot and they take a good few seconds to come on. Is this true?
Any thoughts whether I should use the florescent bulbs? Are the 60w
floscent same brightness as the 60w incandescent?

Finally, one of the hi-hat covers is missing, and since all of them looks
the same I am trying to find a matching one. HD does not carry anything
like it, any idea where I might be able to find one? It is a white circular
rim with a piece of round glass in the middle held in place by two clamps.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...hihatcover.jpg

Thanks in advance,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

There is no other way except getting up there on a ladder. Inside the can
will be the manufacturers name, but it looks like an "Atlite" brand with
fresnel lens

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
A few questions on hi hat lights.

.. I was going to
get regular bulbs at $2-$3 a piece, but then I saw these flourescent
bulbs that sells for $7 for a set of 4.

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...48582304_3.jpg

The box says it's 60W...so I am tempted, but there was another guy
there said these bulbs are not bright compared to the incandescent
and they flicker a lot and they take a good few seconds to come on. Is
this true? Any thoughts whether I should use the florescent bulbs?
Are the 60w floscent same brightness as the 60w incandescent?

A few years ago, I might have agreed with that other guy. Most of them
available today are great. They don't flicker, make noise have bad color or
have short lives. They save energy and last a very long time. Most also
fulfill their promise on light output.

I suggest you get one pack and see how you like them. While you are
considering this, remember different brands are different in output and
color and quality. Remember that they are going to be a lot cooler in the
summer and save a lot of energy and they will still save energy in the
winter. However if you ever want to add a dimmer, many will not allow
dimming, but some do, check the package.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much. I will try them out! Dimming is not a requirement.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

I was going to get regular bulbs at $2-$3 a
piece, but then I saw these flourescent bulbs that sells for $7 for a set of
4.

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...48582304_3.jpg

The cold start isn't much of a problem anymore, most of those type lights are rated
for -20 degrees start (it will list it on the package). But, the bulbs may not fit
into these fixtures. I have similar ones and the compact fluorescents won't go in,
the inner reflector has a hole that is too small for the base of the lamp to fit
through. So try just one to begin with.

Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Also, if you Google the manufacturer's name (from inside the can) you can
see what different trim pieces they have for the cans you are using.
Possibly they have a version that can take a CF bulb.

news:fu6dnc5lYoat133YnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

light bulbs FH Home Repair 16 February 22nd 07 02:52 AM
Photon light under hat brim Stormin Mormon Home Repair 3 December 16th 06 09:07 AM
Light Bulbs Ed UK diy 19 November 26th 06 01:43 PM
Cooler light bulbs? Richard Blackwood UK diy 27 September 10th 04 09:12 PM