Posted to alt.home.repair

Default do i need to replace a single roof shingle?

Hi,

We had extremely high winds in our area last night, and I found a
single asphalt shingle in the front yard. I can't see where a shingle
is missing on our three-year-old house, but we have a high roof with
lots of peaks, and I'm not sure I can even see all of the roof. In
addition, my roof is steeply pitched, and I'm not inclined to try and
go up on the roof myself.

So my question is: do I need to pay someone to replace a (possibly)
single shingle?

Thanks,

Stan McFarland

Posted to alt.home.repair

sfmcfar wrote:

So my question is: do I need to pay someone to replace a (possibly)
single shingle?

Why in the world would you actually pay someone? I thought everybody
worked for free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

sfmcfar wrote:
Hi,

We had extremely high winds in our area last night, and I found a
single asphalt shingle in the front yard. I can't see where a shingle
is missing on our three-year-old house, but we have a high roof with
lots of peaks, and I'm not sure I can even see all of the roof. In
addition, my roof is steeply pitched, and I'm not inclined to try and
go up on the roof myself.

So my question is: do I need to pay someone to replace a (possibly)
single shingle?

If you've got shingles coming loose on a three-year old roof, you've got
bigger problems than hiring a roofer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 6:11 pm, "sfmcfar" wrote:
We had extremely high winds in our area last night, and I found a
single asphalt shingle in the front yard. I can't see where a shingle
is missing on our three-year-old house, but we have a high roof with
lots of peaks, and I'm not sure I can even see all of the roof. In
addition, my roof is steeply pitched, and I'm not inclined to try and
go up on the roof myself.

So my question is: do I need to pay someone to replace a (possibly)
single shingle?

How do you know the shingle is even from your roof? Are there other
houses nearby that it could have come from? Use some binoculars to
get a closer look. If it is from your roof then it can be replaced
and should be replaced IMO.

It is a hassle for a roofer to go up on a steep roof to replace one
shingle so, yea, you will have to pay. If the shingle is not near the
eaves then staging may have to be placed. Construction is down these
days so you should be able to find someone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you had "extremely high winds" it's probably not yours. Think about it.

--
Steve Barker

"sfmcfar" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

We had extremely high winds in our area last night, and I found a
single asphalt shingle in the front yard. I can't see where a shingle
is missing on our three-year-old house, but we have a high roof with
lots of peaks, and I'm not sure I can even see all of the roof. In
addition, my roof is steeply pitched, and I'm not inclined to try and
go up on the roof myself.

So my question is: do I need to pay someone to replace a (possibly)
single shingle?

Thanks,

Stan McFarland

Posted to alt.home.repair

sfmcfar wrote:
Hi,

We had extremely high winds in our area last night, and I found a
single asphalt shingle in the front yard. I can't see where a shingle
is missing on our three-year-old house, but we have a high roof with
lots of peaks, and I'm not sure I can even see all of the roof. In
addition, my roof is steeply pitched, and I'm not inclined to try and
go up on the roof myself.

So my question is: do I need to pay someone to replace a (possibly)
single shingle?

Thanks,

Stan McFarland

Probably ought to at least get up there (or have someone get up there)
and look at it, to make sure that you don't have any spots where all the
shingles are starting to get weak. You might be OK BUT... better safe etc.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 9:30 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
sfmcfar wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all that replied with non-sarcastic responses. I'll try
and get a better look tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
sfmcfar wrote:
Hi,

We had extremely high winds in our area last night, and I found a
single asphalt shingle in the front yard. I can't see where a shingle
is missing on our three-year-old house, but we have a high roof with
lots of peaks, and I'm not sure I can even see all of the roof. In
addition, my roof is steeply pitched, and I'm not inclined to try and
go up on the roof myself.

So my question is: do I need to pay someone to replace a (possibly)
single shingle?

Thanks,

Stan McFarland

2 questions that may help to answer your question:

1.) Are you certain the shingle was from your roof and not from
another house in the area? (as you said, extremely high winds...)

2.) Are you sure that only _one_ shingle came off your roof?

If there is someplace with a good view of the roof, you may be able to
check it with a pair of binoculars. Also, sometimes you can get a good
look at parts of a roof from the upper floor of neighboring housesr.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
Posted to alt.home.repair

sfmcfar wrote:
Hi,

We had extremely high winds in our area last night, and I found a
single asphalt shingle in the front yard. I can't see where a shingle
is missing on our three-year-old house, but we have a high roof with
lots of peaks, and I'm not sure I can even see all of the roof. In
addition, my roof is steeply pitched, and I'm not inclined to try and
go up on the roof myself.

So my question is: do I need to pay someone to replace a (possibly)
single shingle?

Thanks,

Stan McFarland

If it is from your roof, then I would suggest contacting the roofer who
did the work. It is possible they will replace it for free.

I single missing shingle would not likely cause a leak, but it then
increases the chance of a leak later and with only three years on the
current roof, I would want it fixed. Replacing one is not a big deal, but
I no longer go up on a roof unless I really really need to. I just don't
like it so I would hire someone if needed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 7:49 am, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
sfmcfar wrote:
[...]

Yep, it's from my roof - saw it with binoculars this morning. Thanks
again to all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sfmcfar wrote:
Hi,

We had extremely high winds in our area last night, and I found a
single asphalt shingle in the front yard. I can't see where a shingle
is missing on our three-year-old house, but we have a high roof with
lots of peaks, and I'm not sure I can even see all of the roof. In
addition, my roof is steeply pitched, and I'm not inclined to try and
go up on the roof myself.

So my question is: do I need to pay someone to replace a (possibly)
single shingle?

Thanks,

Stan McFarland

Wind damage should be covered by insurance. Having a roofer check it
out might be money well spent. One shingle not nailed properly is sort
of expected, and there are probably more. If there are any signs at all
of curling or cracked shingles, I would certainly have the roof
inspected. Although we have a warranty still in effect, and have had
lots of problems with our roof, our condo assn. chose to hire another
roofer to replace two shingles last time we had shingles come off.
Price was $100, and he checked out the remainder of the roof.