Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default do i need to replace a single roof shingle?

sfmcfar wrote:
Hi,

We had extremely high winds in our area last night, and I found a
single asphalt shingle in the front yard. I can't see where a shingle
is missing on our three-year-old house, but we have a high roof with
lots of peaks, and I'm not sure I can even see all of the roof. In
addition, my roof is steeply pitched, and I'm not inclined to try and
go up on the roof myself.

So my question is: do I need to pay someone to replace a (possibly)
single shingle?

Thanks,

Stan McFarland

Wind damage should be covered by insurance. Having a roofer check it
out might be money well spent. One shingle not nailed properly is sort
of expected, and there are probably more. If there are any signs at all
of curling or cracked shingles, I would certainly have the roof
inspected. Although we have a warranty still in effect, and have had
lots of problems with our roof, our condo assn. chose to hire another
roofer to replace two shingles last time we had shingles come off.
Price was $100, and he checked out the remainder of the roof.