Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default do i need to replace a single roof shingle?

In article .com,
sfmcfar wrote:
Hi,

We had extremely high winds in our area last night, and I found a
single asphalt shingle in the front yard. I can't see where a shingle
is missing on our three-year-old house, but we have a high roof with
lots of peaks, and I'm not sure I can even see all of the roof. In
addition, my roof is steeply pitched, and I'm not inclined to try and
go up on the roof myself.

So my question is: do I need to pay someone to replace a (possibly)
single shingle?

Thanks,

Stan McFarland

2 questions that may help to answer your question:

1.) Are you certain the shingle was from your roof and not from
another house in the area? (as you said, extremely high winds...)

2.) Are you sure that only _one_ shingle came off your roof?

If there is someplace with a good view of the roof, you may be able to
check it with a pair of binoculars. Also, sometimes you can get a good
look at parts of a roof from the upper floor of neighboring housesr.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org