Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grounding a satellite

When I first got a satellite, Direct TV came out and drove a small
ground rod and ran a bare wire from the base of the dish to the ground
rod.

I no longer use satellite but I am thinking about switching back
again.

I plan to have the new installer leave the base of the satellite
grounded to the ground rod, but also insist that he take another bare
wire from the clamp on the ground rod into the house and bond it to a
copper water pipe.

Will this meet code? If I can't get the satellite people to ground it
properly then I plan to stay on cable. I don't plan to spend any
money out of my pocket to ground a satellite system when I can just
stay on cable and not worry about it.

The cable company installed a splitter and came off the splitter to
the same cold water pipe I plan to have the satellite people to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
[...]

Unless the water pipe you are talking about is within five pipe feet of
were the piping enters the building AND, the supply piping in the earth
outside your home is also metallic And, the underground portion of the
supply piping is twenty or more feet in length, it is not suitable for
use as a grounding electrode. The US National Electric Code (NEC);
which may or may not be enforced as law in your community; requires that
the Grounding Electrode Conductor for your satellite dish must terminate
at the Grounding Electrode system of the building. If the entry point
of the satellite feed line is too far from the grounding electrode
system then a full sized driven rod of at least eight feet in length
should be driven below the dish and within a few feet of the point of
entry. That driven rod is then bonded to the Grounding Electrode System
so as to become part of that system electrically. The minimum size of
the bonding conductor is number six American Wire Gage (AWG).
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

ARTICLE 810 Radio and Television Equipment
I. General
810.1 Scope.
This article covers antenna systems for radio and television receiving
equipment, amateur radio transmitting and receiving equipment, and
certain features of transmitter safety. This article covers antennas
such as multi-element, vertical rod, and dish, and also covers the
wiring and cabling that connects them to equipment. This article does
not cover equipment and antennas used for coupling carrier current to
power line conductors.

II. Receiving Equipment — Antenna Systems

810.15 Grounding.
Masts and metal structures supporting antennas shall be grounded in
accordance with 810.21.

810.21 Grounding Conductors — Receiving Stations.
Grounding conductors shall comply with 810.21(A) through (J).

(F) Electrode. The grounding conductor shall be connected as follows:
(1) To the nearest accessible location on the following:
a. The building or structure grounding electrode system as covered in
250.50
b. The grounded interior metal water piping systems, within 1.52 m (5
ft) from its point of entrance to the building, as covered in 250.52
See the commentary following 250.52(A)(1).
c. The power service accessible means external to the building, as
covered in 250.94
d. The metallic power service raceway
e. The service equipment enclosure, or
f. The grounding electrode conductor or the grounding electrode
conductor metal enclosures;

(J) Bonding of Electrodes. A bonding jumper not smaller than 6 AWG
copper or equivalent shall be connected between the radio and television
equipment grounding electrode and the power grounding electrode system
at the building or structure served where separate electrodes are used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 3:38 pm, "Tom Horne, Electrician"
wrote:
Terry wrote:
[...]

I kind of get the feeling that about 100% of the dishes installed do
not meet these requirements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's one long assed wire to ground a satellite.

--
Steve Barker

"Terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Feb 2007 18:48:37 -0800, "Terry" wrote:

On Feb 22, 3:38 pm, "Tom Horne, Electrician"
wrote:
Terry wrote:

[snip]

conductor metal enclosures;

(J) Bonding of Electrodes. A bonding jumper not smaller than 6 AWG
copper or equivalent shall be connected between the radio and television
equipment grounding electrode and the power grounding electrode system
at the building or structure served where separate electrodes are used

I kind of get the feeling that about 100% of the dishes installed do
not meet these requirements.

Mine wasn't grounded. It had a wire from the dish that wasn't
connected to the grounding block that wasn't grounded.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Terry wrote:
[...]

Most satellite dish installers are jobbers who will be paid and gone
before anyone takes a hard look at their work. If the customer is happy
enough to sign off on the install that's all they care about. The
consequences of that kind of hit and run installation is that any
lightning discharge that energizes the dish will find ground through the
television set rather than through the grounding conductor. That
usually destroys the TV tuner but it is hard to prove who is at fault so
the satellite company can usually evade responsibility for the damage.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:

When I first got a satellite, Direct TV came out and drove a small
ground rod and ran a bare wire from the base of the dish to the ground
rod.

DANG !! !! !! That's gotta be some humongus chunk of #6 wire .. .. ..
what, with them thar' sat-t-lite thingies hoverin' around 23,000 miles
abouve this here earth & all !! !! !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On 22 Feb 2007 18:48:37 -0800, "Terry" wrote:

On Feb 22, 3:38 pm, "Tom Horne, Electrician"
wrote:
Terry wrote:

[snip]

conductor metal enclosures;

(J) Bonding of Electrodes. A bonding jumper not smaller than 6 AWG
copper or equivalent shall be connected between the radio and television
equipment grounding electrode and the power grounding electrode system
at the building or structure served where separate electrodes are used

I kind of get the feeling that about 100% of the dishes installed do
not meet these requirements.

Mine wasn't grounded. It had a wire from the dish that wasn't
connected to the grounding block that wasn't grounded.

When they installed mine (existing dish left by previous owner), the
subcontract installer made me sign a waiver that I knew it wasn't grounded.
It actually was, but not near the mast- the in-house coax runs had a ground
block where they passed near the water pump, and were tied to that. I
probably oughta put a stake near the faux chimney stack it is all mounted
on, and run a wire up there.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
When I first got a satellite, Direct TV came out and drove a small
ground rod and ran a bare wire from the base of the dish to the ground
rod.

I no longer use satellite but I am thinking about switching back
again.

I plan to have the new installer leave the base of the satellite
grounded to the ground rod, but also insist that he take another bare
wire from the clamp on the ground rod into the house and bond it to a
copper water pipe.

The purpose of a ground on a satellite dish is to dissipate static
electricity generated by the wind passing over the dish. This, in turn, acts
like a lightning rod to discourage lightning strikes.

You're going for over-kill.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

You don't want to ground a satellite, it would take a rocket and about 20
miles of cable to reach up to the satellite. Or did you mean a satellite
dish that you wanted grounded. It pays to write with correct names.

"Terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 12:39 pm, "Terry" wrote: brevity
snip
I plan to have the new installer leave the base of the satellite
grounded to the ground rod, but also insist that he take another bare
wire from the clamp on the ground rod into the house and bond it to a
copper water pipe.

Why, is your plumbing grounded to a different earth...?

Besides the circuitry problems that might (I ain't no electrician)
occur from having 2 grounds, I'd avoid directing possible lightning
strikes into my home circuit whenever possible.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 23:08:09 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

You don't want to ground a satellite, it would take a rocket and about 20
miles of cable to reach up to the satellite.

That cable would be much too short. Communication satellites must be
in geostationary orbit (to always appear over the same location on
Earth). That orbit is 22,300 miles above the equator.

Or did you mean a satellite
dish that you wanted grounded. It pays to write with correct names.

And actually knowing what you're talking about, can make it a LOT
easier to understand things. That helps explain why I'm more likely to
mention such errors (including the erroneous statement that a gallon
is 4 times more than a quart, it's 4 times AS MUCH [3 times MORE]).

roups.com...