Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Grounding a satellite

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 23:08:09 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

You don't want to ground a satellite, it would take a rocket and about 20
miles of cable to reach up to the satellite.

That cable would be much too short. Communication satellites must be
in geostationary orbit (to always appear over the same location on
Earth). That orbit is 22,300 miles above the equator.

Or did you mean a satellite
dish that you wanted grounded. It pays to write with correct names.

And actually knowing what you're talking about, can make it a LOT
easier to understand things. That helps explain why I'm more likely to
mention such errors (including the erroneous statement that a gallon
is 4 times more than a quart, it's 4 times AS MUCH [3 times MORE]).

"Terry" wrote in message
roups.com...
When I first got a satellite, Direct TV came out and drove a small
ground rod and ran a bare wire from the base of the dish to the ground
rod.

I no longer use satellite but I am thinking about switching back
again.

I plan to have the new installer leave the base of the satellite
grounded to the ground rod, but also insist that he take another bare
wire from the clamp on the ground rod into the house and bond it to a
copper water pipe.

Will this meet code? If I can't get the satellite people to ground it
properly then I plan to stay on cable. I don't plan to spend any
money out of my pocket to ground a satellite system when I can just
stay on cable and not worry about it.

The cable company installed a splitter and came off the splitter to
the same cold water pipe I plan to have the satellite people to use.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy