Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fireplace backplate material

I intended to create my own backplate for a fireplace,
and - as I was thinking about etching it - I am investigating on the
most suited materials:
so far I saw mentioned just iron, but I would be more confortable with
bronze: it can be used? Any other materials are possible?

thanks!

Alessandro Magni

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

I intended to create my own backplate for a fireplace,
and - as I was thinking about etching it - I am investigating on the
most suited materials:
so far I saw mentioned just iron, but I would be more confortable with
bronze: it can be used? Any other materials are possible?

I'd go with cast iron. Bonze has a melting point too low for fireplaces,
IMO. Iron so good for another 1000 degrees or so.

What do you plan to etch? Consider making a plaster or wood carving and
having it sand cast in iron if you want something special.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 14 Feb 2007 02:05:36 -0800, "
wrote:

I intended to create my own backplate for a fireplace,
and - as I was thinking about etching it - I am investigating on the
most suited materials:
so far I saw mentioned just iron, but I would be more confortable with
bronze: it can be used? Any other materials are possible?

What about brass? I think our first andirons were brass, and our
first fireplace tools, like tongs. But the part of the andirons that
was brass was out front an inch or so, and the part under the fire was
iron. And tools aren't in there for that long. So look into it.

When I think of bronze I think of sculpture, where it is meltable and
pourable. I used to think they started with a big cube or rectangle
of bronze and used a hammer and chisel to make a sculpture, but I was
never sure what kind of chisel one could use.

thanks!
Alessandro Magni

I was going to say that you're Italian and should know all about this
stuff already, but I decided that' swhy you wanted to etch your
backplate, because you're Italian.

I think blacksmiths, welders, fireplace stores, and artists who work
in metal will also be able to give you good advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

There are many bronze alloys. I think the ones with phosphor and a low tin
content would be fine for your purpose -- if cast thick enough. You're not
going to melt it with a log fire 10" or so in front of it, but if it's not a
heavy casting, say at least 1" thick, you'll sure be able to warp it.

A nice thing about bronze near heat is that it will never look the same
after a fire than it did before. It can take on beautiful colorations, and
when it gets too dark you can go back to new with just a weak sulfuric acid
wash.

Try a 5% phosphor bronze.

Keith

wrote in message
ups.com...

I intended to create my own backplate for a fireplace,
and - as I was thinking about etching it - I am investigating on the
most suited materials:
so far I saw mentioned just iron, but I would be more confortable with
bronze: it can be used? Any other materials are possible?

thanks!

Alessandro Magni

What heatproof and insulating material to line walls of deep set woodburner in fireplace? Tim UK diy 10 October 24th 06 12:49 PM
Stainless Steel Backplate 80/20 UK diy 8 May 24th 06 10:18 PM
Fireplace Surround Material Kyle Boatright Home Repair 1 February 6th 06 04:20 AM
Backplate stuck on 8" 3 Jaw chuck??? Steve Metalworking 2 October 9th 03 08:23 AM
UPDATE on Stuck Chuck Backplate! Steve Metalworking 0 October 9th 03 05:42 AM