Posted to uk.d-i-y
80/20

Default Stainless Steel Backplate

I've got a Stainless Steel Backplate to put up behind the cooker to
protect the wall.

Do I need a special drill bit for it?

Cheers
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Yes. A sharp one.
SS drills OK but work hardens easily so make sure your drill is sharp
before you start. It might be worth getting a new one unless your drill
sharpening skills are good. Other than that, treat it as normal steel
but maybe a little slower on the speed if possible and some oil on the
drill will help.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

80/20 wrote:

I've got a Stainless Steel Backplate to put up behind the cooker to
protect the wall.

Do I need a special drill bit for it?

Not necessarily.

If you are not used to drilling metals, I would think that your
collection of drills would not be up to this job. As another poster
says, 'if your drill sharpening skills are not up to it', I would
recommend that you find your local engineering suppliers and ask them as
to what drills (twist drills) you would need.

Having worked with drilling all sorts of metal by hand for well over 40
years, I know something about how to go about how to drill some of the
harder metals.
With the metal you are about to drill and using a normal High speed
drill (It can be done)...

1 Never let the twist drill spin on the metal without it revolving very
slowly.

2 Never let the twist drill revolve on the metal without considerable
pressure being applied behind the twist drill. i.e. Make sure that the
line of pressure is along the line of the twist drill. Not from the
power drill handle.

3 Ensure that the twist drill is as sharp as you can make it and does
not have too sharp a cutting angle. Look at the drill from the side,
pointing at 90 degrees from the body, cutting edge to the right and note
the angle from the cutting edge to the left. The faster it drops, the
worse it will perform in cutting SS.

4 If the metal changes colour, when you are drilling it, you are doing
it totally wrong and may be in danger of hardening the metal to such a
point that the drill you are using will never bite again on the hole you
are trying to drill.

If you need to put in countersunk screws, then you will have a problem,
as countersinks for this metal are possibly quite expensive.

Dave

e-mail address is valid if you want further info.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

80/20 wrote:
I've got a Stainless Steel Backplate to put up behind the cooker to
protect the wall.

Do I need a special drill bit for it?

HSS will blunt rapidly, even after one or two holes. Cobalt at low speed
with a lubricant will work a treat.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
powerstation

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
80/20 wrote:
I've got a Stainless Steel Backplate to put up behind the cooker to
protect the wall.

Do I need a special drill bit for it?

HSS will blunt rapidly, even after one or two holes. Cobalt at low speed
with a lubricant will work a treat.

Is it a purpose designed backplate ? If so you shouldn't have to drill it,
they usually hang on the lip or corners behind to conceal the fixings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Owain contains these words:

Wouldn't it be easier just to use some squirty glue?

Or magnets - depending on the grade of the stainless.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nathan Critchlow-Watton

from Owain contains these words:

Wouldn't it be easier just to use some squirty glue?

That's what I did - silicone sealant on the back of the SS with a
couple of screws in the wall behind the cooker to rest the edge of the
sheet on before I pushed it up into position.

Just be careful when you offer it up - I thought I'd have some scope to
adjust the position once on the wall, but it stuck immovably once
suctioned onto the tiles! Luckily it was lined up right, but be aware
of this!

Yours,
Nathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

"Owain" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
80/20 wrote:
I've got a Stainless Steel Backplate to put up behind the cooker to
protect the wall.
Do I need a special drill bit for it?

HSS will blunt rapidly, even after one or two holes. Cobalt at low speed
with a lubricant will work a treat.

Wouldn't it be easier just to use some squirty glue?

Last SS splashback I fitted I just used copius amounts of No More Nails.
That was a 40" x 16" jobby and it's still up.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
80/20

Judging by the comments about drilling the SS I'm beginning to think
the "stickers" have a very valid view.

Thanks Folks

Another job for a wet Whitsun holiday!