Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fireplace backplate material

wrote in message
ups.com...

I intended to create my own backplate for a fireplace,
and - as I was thinking about etching it - I am investigating on the
most suited materials:
so far I saw mentioned just iron, but I would be more confortable with
bronze: it can be used? Any other materials are possible?

I'd go with cast iron. Bonze has a melting point too low for fireplaces,
IMO. Iron so good for another 1000 degrees or so.

What do you plan to etch? Consider making a plaster or wood carving and
having it sand cast in iron if you want something special.