Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whirlpool Top-Loading Direct Drive Washers

I am still running a Whirlpool belt-driven after almost 26 years. Was
wondering how the direct-drive (beltless) washers from Whirlpool stack up
up?
It almost seems that manufacturers just want to make change even if it means
a poorer quality product.
What is the most dependable Whirlpool top-loading direct drive washer
currently on the market?
The Consmmer Reports just confuses me in their selection of washers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

We had a Whirlpool direct drive and the seal broke in the agitator causing
water to leak into the transmission and destroying it. With only 2 people
in the family it only lasted 5 years. I would not buy another. We
replaced it with a Maytag front loader. Consumer Reports says it has poor
reliability but we have had good luck with ours. It is overall a simple
design. No transmission to break. I'm sure others will disagree.