Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Honeywell Thermostat: "Change Filter" Msg. Question

Hello,

Have a gas fired, hot air furnace.

Last year they put in on of these really fancy, 7 day programmable Honeywell
thermostats for it.
Works fine.

Every month or so, I replace the filter.

The thermostat has just come up with a message to change the filter.

Am I correcdt that this message is based purely on time elapsed, and that I
never "reset" it at the
time I changed the filter (don't know how to) ?

In other words, it really does Not monitor the filter's condition at all,
just elapsed time ?

Right ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You are correct-- the thermostat measures run time. It has no way to
actually monitor the filter itself. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

You are correct sir. There is a sub menu to turn off that message, I'd
have to get the book out to tell you how, but my Honeywell did that
too. I think it is aimed at the big once a year filters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 9:37 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Have a gas fired, hot air furnace.

Last year they put in on of these really fancy, 7 day programmable Honeywell
thermostats for it.
Works fine.

Every month or so, I replace the filter.

The thermostat has just come up with a message to change the filter.

Am I correcdt that this message is based purely on time elapsed, and that I
never "reset" it at the
time I changed the filter (don't know how to) ?

In other words, it really does Not monitor the filter's condition at all,
just elapsed time ?

Right ?

Thanks,
B.

Yep it's just a timer really.
You can go here
http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consum...s/Thermostats/
and find a manual for your unit.

George

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:

Hello,

Have a gas fired, hot air furnace.

Last year they put in on of these really fancy, 7 day programmable Honeywell
thermostats for it.
Works fine.

Every month or so, I replace the filter.

The thermostat has just come up with a message to change the filter.

Am I correcdt that this message is based purely on time elapsed, and that I
never "reset" it at the
time I changed the filter (don't know how to) ?

In other words, it really does Not monitor the filter's condition at all,
just elapsed time ?

Right ?

Thanks,
B.

Not elapsed time, like every 3 months, but elapsed fan run time so a
more accurate reflection of the filters expected condition. You'll get a
longer interval during the "off" seasons with minimal heating and
cooling. You might even be able to adjust the time setpoint to better
match the filters you are using and dust conditions. One feature I'd
like to see is a minimum fan run time function to insure the fan cycles
for air filtering purposes even if heating or cooling is not required.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Robert11 wrote:

[...]

If you have that type of thermostat, you can do that. Just set your fan
setting to CIRC. The fan runs at random intervals about 35% of the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

Have a gas fired, hot air furnace.

Last year they put in on of these really fancy, 7 day programmable
Honeywell
thermostats for it.
Works fine.

Every month or so, I replace the filter.

The thermostat has just come up with a message to change the filter.

Am I correcdt that this message is based purely on time elapsed, and that
never "reset" it at the
time I changed the filter (don't know how to) ?

In other words, it really does Not monitor the filter's condition at all,
just elapsed time ?

Right ?

Thanks,
B.

As someone else replied, this is based on elapsed fan run time. You can
turn this feature off or change the setting:

Press your System button (Heat, Cool, Off)
Press the blank center square at the bottom and hold for about 5 seconds
until the special features menu comes on
Press the up button through the feature setup (four-digit) numbers until you
get to number 0500
It will be set to a number from 0 to 6:

0 - Off
1 - 10 fan run time days
2 - 30
3 - 60
4 - 90

To change setup number, press the Up or Down arrow key to the right of 0500
to change the number between 0 and 6.
Press Done at bottom left.

Honeywell assumes 33% average daily use, so 10 fan run time days, on
average, corresponds to one calendar month. As some have said, during low
use months this message will come up less often, and during heavy use
months, more often. If you faithfully change the filter monthly, you might
as well disable this feature.

Now if we could only get it to automatically adjust to the new daylight
savings dates...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 09:37:21 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello,

Have a gas fired, hot air furnace.

Last year they put in on of these really fancy, 7 day programmable Honeywell
thermostats for it.
Works fine.

Every month or so, I replace the filter.

The thermostat has just come up with a message to change the filter.

Am I correcdt that this message is based purely on time elapsed, and that I
never "reset" it at the
time I changed the filter (don't know how to) ?

In other words, it really does Not monitor the filter's condition at all,
just elapsed time ?

Right ?

Thanks,
B.

I have one of those thermostats. It's just a timer.

I ignore that message, and clean the filter (I use a washable filter)
on the first of every month, as before.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Robert11 wrote:

[...]

Which thermostats support that feature?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Robert11 wrote:

[...]

Mine is a VisionPro TH-8320U, a 7-day programmable,
http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/69-1701.pdf.

My guess is most VisionPro and VisionPro IAQ models have this. The list is
at

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consum...ed/Default.htm