Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint in shed

Hello,

I have several cans of Latex paint (including one can of primer) in my shed.
Some cans are almost full and some are almost empty. It has been below
freezing off and on this winter season. Are those cans of paint garbage
now?

Thanks,

--
Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 8:34 am, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I have several cans of Latex paint (including one can of primer) in my shed.
Some cans are almost full and some are almost empty. It has been below
freezing off and on this winter season. Are those cans of paint garbage
now?

Thanks,

--
Chris

Would it make sense to you to open the cans and try a little sample of
each?

Posted to alt.home.repair

cavedweller wrote:

On Feb 8, 8:34 am, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I have several cans of Latex paint (including one can of primer) in my
shed. Some cans are almost full and some are almost empty. It has been
below freezing off and on this winter season. Are those cans of paint
garbage now?

Thanks,

--
Chris

Would it make sense to you to open the cans and try a little sample of
each?

Yup, but it's still below freezing and I'm afraid that once I get the lid
off now, I wont be able to get it back on.

I should also mention that there is frost on the outside of the cans. The
frost is only where the paint fills the can.

--
Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
cavedweller wrote:

On Feb 8, 8:34 am, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I have several cans of Latex paint (including one can of primer) in my
shed. Some cans are almost full and some are almost empty. It has been
below freezing off and on this winter season. Are those cans of paint
garbage now?

Thanks,

--
Chris

Would it make sense to you to open the cans and try a little sample of
each?

Yup, but it's still below freezing and I'm afraid that once I get the lid
off now, I wont be able to get it back on.

What??? Why would that be the case?

Bring the cans in the house for 48 hours. Shake the bejeezuz out of them,
like the mixing machines at the paint stores. Test on a clean piece of wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cavedweller wrote:

On Feb 8, 8:34 am, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I have several cans of Latex paint (including one can of primer) in my
shed. Some cans are almost full and some are almost empty. It has been

below freezing off and on this winter season. Are those cans of paint
garbage now?

Thanks,

--
Chris

Would it make sense to you to open the cans and try a little sample of
each?

Yup, but it's still below freezing and I'm afraid that once I get the lid
off now, I wont be able to get it back on.

What??? Why would that be the case?

Bring the cans in the house for 48 hours. Shake the bejeezuz out of them,
like the mixing machines at the paint stores. Test on a clean piece of wood.

Looks like it might be easier to sit in the house and type questions
for usenet.
I hate it when other Canadians ask lazy questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cavedweller wrote:

On Feb 8, 8:34 am, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I have several cans of Latex paint (including one can of primer) in my
shed. Some cans are almost full and some are almost empty. It has been
below freezing off and on this winter season. Are those cans of paint
garbage now?

Thanks,

--
Chris

Would it make sense to you to open the cans and try a little sample of
each?

Yup, but it's still below freezing and I'm afraid that once I get the lid
off now, I wont be able to get it back on.

What??? Why would that be the case?

Bring the cans in the house for 48 hours. Shake the bejeezuz out of them,
like the mixing machines at the paint stores. Test on a clean piece of wood.- Hide quoted text -

Agreed,,no guarantees tho..What I've been told with water based
products is,,"if it returns to original consistancy when mixed it's
probably ok"..Mold or mildew is the real enemy..Do the cans say
anything about freezing? If You have doubt do'nt use it anywhere
important..
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

cavedweller wrote:

On Feb 8, 8:34 am, Chris wrote:
[...]

I just figured that there might be someone who has had this happen to them
and they would share their experience. By the sounds of it, there is no
definitive answer. So, I'll have to test them to see.

--
Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

cavedweller wrote:

On Feb 8, 8:34 am, Chris wrote:
[...]

A lot depends on how well the cans were closed after the last use. Some cave
people wreck the lids.

But, I still want to know what you mean by not being able to get the lids
back on. That makes no sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

A lot depends on how well the cans were closed after the last use. Some
cave people wreck the lids.

But, I still want to know what you mean by not being able to get the lids
back on. That makes no sense.

I was thinking of the difference in temperature between the lid and the can.
Both are metal, but the can has cold liquid inside. So, I was thinking that
when I bring the can inside, the lid might expand at a faster rate than the
can. Obviously, this isn't an issue. Thanks.

--
Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

A lot depends on how well the cans were closed after the last use. Some
cave people wreck the lids.

But, I still want to know what you mean by not being able to get the lids
back on. That makes no sense.

I was thinking of the difference in temperature between the lid and the
can.
Both are metal, but the can has cold liquid inside. So, I was thinking
that
when I bring the can inside, the lid might expand at a faster rate than
the
can. Obviously, this isn't an issue. Thanks.

--
Chris

It's not an issue because if you read the label, it will say "Do not use
below {some temperature}", usually between 50 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
Therefore, you would not do that. You will let the paint reach comfortable
room temperature by waiting 48 hours. Overkill, but that's a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 5:34 am, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I have several cans of Latex paint (including one can of primer) in my shed.
Some cans are almost full and some are almost empty. It has been below
freezing off and on this winter season. Are those cans of paint garbage
now?

Thanks,

--
Chris

MY experience way back when says it should be okay after mixing BUT.
You ain't a gonna be able to mix it by hand. Use at least is paint
stirrer in a drill and it will probably take a bit of time. The stuff
I used was quite lumpy when I started mixing it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 8:34 am, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I have several cans of Latex paint (including one can of primer) in my shed.
Some cans are almost full and some are almost empty. It has been below
freezing off and on this winter season. Are those cans of paint garbage
now?

Freezing can break emulsions. The only solution, as others suggest,
is to warm them up and have a look at them. If separated, and cannot
be recovered by stirring, discard them.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 8, 8:34 am, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I have several cans of Latex paint (including one can of primer) in my
shed.
Some cans are almost full and some are almost empty. It has been below
freezing off and on this winter season. Are those cans of paint garbage
now?

Freezing can break emulsions. The only solution, as others suggest,
is to warm them up and have a look at them. If separated, and cannot
be recovered by stirring, discard them.
Frank

Discard, according to my local solid waste authority: Place cans outdoors
with lids off. Allow evaporation until what's left has solidified, then toss
cans in the regular trash can. Obviously, this will have to wait for warmer
weather. And, he should check with his local agency to see if this same
method is what they want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 8:34 am, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I have several cans of Latex paint (including one can of primer) in my shed.
Some cans are almost full and some are almost empty. It has been below
freezing off and on this winter season. Are those cans of paint garbage
now?

Thanks,

--
Chris

Hi Chris,

I've had paint in the garage over three winters in PA.. Most of it
was Sears Easyliving paint. I know it was frozen and thawed several
times.

When I wanted to use it during the winter I'd bring a can in the house
a couple of days before I'd use it and sit it in the basement to bring
it up to temp. Then I had to shake the daylights out of them and mix
with a power mixer blade on my drill, but I've never had problems with
using them.

Not saying that this is the case with all paints, but like I said, I
haven't had a problem yet... :-)

Of course now that I've posted this we all know what I'll find the
next time I pull a can of paint out to use... ;-O

Recoating shed roof with bitumen paint? Adam Funk UK diy 10 December 20th 06 03:16 PM
Can you mix primer/sealer and paint (exterior house paint)? TC Home Repair 11 March 9th 06 04:47 PM
Storing paint in the shed EricP UK diy 1 October 31st 05 10:03 AM
Paint Needed for Shed Support? [email protected] UK diy 4 August 24th 05 12:29 AM
indoor walls: spray paint or roll paint with rollers? Ari Shapiro Home Repair 3 November 17th 03 09:17 PM