Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help on Sprinkler Installation

I've been reading a little on it, and the way I want to install it
seems pretty easy.
I have a small flower bed, which needs water everyday and isn't
getting it. It's getting water every 2-3 days right no. It's only
about 20' x 5'.
Thinking it would be easy to install some PVC piping about 6" in the
ground, with some flexible arms to the sprinkler head (would only need
3-4 maybe?), and then manually connecting it to the close-by faucet
when watering. I guess the connection could some time of flexible
hose with threading.
Does this seem easy/straigt-forward? Am I missing anything in the
thought process?
Would I still need to measure PSI and GPM for 3-4 heads in this small
area? Would I need a backflow prevention mechanism for connection to
an above-ground faucet?
Thanks for the help.
You can call me lazy, but getting home at night-time after a long
day's work (6 days a week), it's definitely a "chore" to water this
flower bed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 5:20 pm, wrote:
[...]

personally for this I would get a soaker hose and a cheap timer for
the faucet connection .

Posted to alt.home.repair

I second the motion, It would be the cheapest and easiest

personally for this I would get a soaker hose and a cheap timer for
the faucet connection .- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 4:20 pm, wrote:

Does this seem easy/straigt-forward? Am I missing anything in the
thought process?
Would I still need to measure PSI and GPM for 3-4 heads in this small
area? Would I need a backflow prevention mechanism for connection to
an above-ground faucet?

Since you're asking this question NOW, I have to assume that you're
located somewhere where freezing of the pipes is not an issue. If not,
you might want to go deeper than 6 inches.

Otherwise, seems simple enough to me. Some 1/2 inch PVC, put threaded
T's with cut-off risers where you want the sprinkler heads. You should
be able to find a PVC adapter to go from your PVC pipe to either male
or female garden hose threads, run a length of garden hose from there
to your hose bib. Put a Y-adapter on your hose bib so you can leave
your sprinklers connected and still use a hose. Even lazier, I have
seen (but never used) battery powered hose timers - you connect the
timer to the hose bib, and the hose to the timer - I assume you can
set them for frequency and duration - not sure what happens when the
batteries die, probably stops watering.

Small circuit like that, you probably don't need to worry too much
about PSI and GPM. One of my circuits at home runs 6 popup heads,
combination of full-circle half-circle and quarter circle through 3/4
inch pipe, think my pressure is something like 55-60 PSI, don't
remember, it's been a while. It's not rocket science, you just need to
make sure you can deliver the required total flow rate of the
sprinkler heads at your delivery pressure. Toro and RainBird both
print little planning guides you can pick up at Home Depot - they have
a chart that shows how many GPM can be delivered through a given size
pipe at a given pressure - just make sure the total GPM of all your
sprinkler heads is below that number. Not a big deal to measure the
pressure, I bought a small pressure gauge when I did my sprinklers,
think it cost 6 or 7 bucks. Or maybe a neighbor has one you can
borrow, it's something you use once and then put away in the garage.

You definitely want some kind of backflow prevention on there to
protect your drinking water, wouldn't want to suck garden water with
fertilizer or insecticide back into the house, would you? In many
localities, code requires backflow diverters on outside faucets. If
you don't have one, you can buy a diverter that screws on to your hose
bib, don't know what they cost, but they look like they shouldn't be
more that $5 or so.

Hope this helps,
Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 5:16 pm, wrote:

personally for this I would get a soaker hose and a cheap timer for
the faucet connection .

Hmmm, good point, I kind of overlooked the easy solution. Feel free to
ignore my long-winded post below.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We did something similar to water plants on our patio ) Check out the
irrigation dept at your favorite store (or the internet). We buried a
length of microtubing just to get it from the faucet to the patio. The
lawn edger sliced it once, but easty to splice in a new section. We
don't use the microsprayers, but tried them once in another location.
Microsprayers seem to clog easily. We put a "Y" connector on the hose
bib, then one connector with adapter for the microtubing. Can do the
same with pvc, but your relatively small garden area might do better
with a soaker hose and some mulch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everyone.
I don't know what a soaker hose is, but it sounds easy and I will look
into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 11:35 am, wrote:
Thanks everyone.
I don't know what a soaker hose is, but it sounds easy and I will look
into it.

Garden hose, closed on the far end, pinholes along the length to allow
water out.

Jerry