Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help in heating cold bedroom - safest heater

My son and daughter in law are staying with us and their bedroom is
cold, in addition they have a one month old. We are getting the
Anderson service people out (to check on the windows), but it is 14
degrees and is cold all week. What is the safest heater? We would use
it to supplement the heat pump that is set for 73 at night for them,
we normally set it at 65 at night. Since they also have a three year
old that could knock over a unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

allan wrote:
My son and daughter in law are staying with us and their bedroom is
cold, in addition they have a one month old. We are getting the
Anderson service people out (to check on the windows), but it is 14
degrees and is cold all week. What is the safest heater? We would use
it to supplement the heat pump that is set for 73 at night for them,
we normally set it at 65 at night. Since they also have a three year
old that could knock over a unit.

You best bet would be an electric space heater. I would choose one with
a fan.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

What is the safest heater? We would use
it to supplement the heat pump that is set for 73 at night for them,
we normally set it at 65 at night. Since they also have a three year
old that could knock over a unit.

Incandescent light bulbs are actually pretty efficient heaters - do
you have a few lights or lamps you could leave on all day? Otherwise,
anything electric should be safe from a carbon monoxide standpoint.
If you get a space heater, would it be possible to bolt it to a
dresser top or mount it securely on a wall so it couldn't be tipped by
a 3-yr-old? Some of them (all?) have sensors that turn off the heater
if it tips, but I'd be worried about little fingers going into a hot
element also. I've seen electric quartz radiant heaters that are made
to be mounted on a garage/shop ceiling, but the radiant heat warms
surfaces pretty effectively. One brand is Marvin - should be
available at your local big-box home center. i.e. http://
www.wbmarvin.com/itemInfobe60.html?itemID=7
An oil-filled radiator might be another good choice - takes a while to
heat up a room, but after that, it's a good system, and not TOO hot to
the touch.
If the problem is a draft, the shrink-wrap window covers are a good
temporary fix (the 3M brand is better than "Frost King".)
Good luck and stay warm,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 12:21�pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
allan wrote:
My son and daughter in law are staying with us and their bedroom is
cold, in addition they have a one month old. *We are getting the
Anderson service people out (to check on the windows), but it is 14
degrees and is cold all week. *What is the safest heater? We would use
it to supplement the heat pump that is set for 73 at night for them,
we normally set it at 65 at night. *Since they also have a three year
old that could knock over a unit.

* * You best bet would be an electric space heater. *I would choose one with
a fan.

--
Joseph Meehan

*Dia 's Muire duit

one that looks like a radiator but is electric, highly safe with kids
around! the heating element is buried inside and heats oil or
something that ultimately heats the room

Posted to alt.home.repair

"allan" wrote in message
My son and daughter in law are staying with us and their bedroom is
cold, in addition they have a one month old. We are getting the
Anderson service people out (to check on the windows), but it is 14
degrees and is cold all week. What is the safest heater? We would use
it to supplement the heat pump that is set for 73 at night for them,
we normally set it at 65 at night. Since they also have a three year
old that could knock over a unit.

The safest are the oil filled models. They don't get hot spots and any
heater should have a trip switch if it is overturned.

The rest of the world usually sets the heat down at nigh (65 is good), not
higher. The three year old really does not need 73.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cutting back with a heat pump might cost you more than if you left it at
the same temp if your backup is electric. Leave the blower on it will
make heating more even.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 11:13 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"allan" wrote in message

My son and daughter in law are staying with us and their bedroom is
cold, in addition they have a one month old. We are getting the
Anderson service people out (to check on the windows), but it is 14
degrees and is cold all week. What is the safest heater? We would use
it to supplement the heat pump that is set for 73 at night for them,
we normally set it at 65 at night. Since they also have a three year
old that could knock over a unit.

The safest are the oil filled models. They don't get hot spots and any
heater should have a trip switch if it is overturned.

The rest of the world usually sets the heat down at nigh (65 is good), not
higher. The three year old really does not need 73.

I think what she meant was that incase, the 3 year old knocked out the
upplmental unit, keeping the heat pump at 73 for one moth old baby
would reduce risk for the baby being cold.

But why would a 3 yrear old knocked the unit at night? He/She should
be asleep.

Cold bedroom Martik Home Repair 4 February 1st 07 04:42 PM
Electric Underfloor Heating the Whole 3 bedroom house. Advice please. [email protected] UK diy 2 February 11th 06 11:19 AM
Safest Bathroom heater for elderly digger o'dell Home Ownership 2 October 19th 05 01:13 AM
Bedroom above garage...friggin cold in winter Chuck Home Repair 2 April 24th 05 02:47 AM