Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cold bedroom

Bdrm A: 12x12' 2 exterior 2x4 walls, one with a 5' patio door double pane,
vinyl,

Bdrm B: 11x10' 1 exterior 2x4 walls with a 5' patio door double pane, vinyl

Both A and B floors are over unheated garage but ceiling has R28

Bdrm C: 14x13' 2 exterior 2x4 walls, one with a 72"x34" low-e double pane,
vinyl, floor is over heated bsmt

I assume that the 2x4 walls are insulated since the rest of the house seems
to have R12

Attic is R40

Bdrm A is much colder than the others. The only reason I can think of is the
larger exterior wall space of A but then C also has a large space. Any other
ideas? Maybe part of the wall is not insulated. How can I test this?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Martik" wrote in message

Bdrm A is much colder than the others. The only reason I can think of is
the larger exterior wall space of A but then C also has a large space. Any
other ideas? Maybe part of the wall is not insulated. How can I test this?

Could be that you have to balance the heating system better. That means
closing off a bit of heat in the other rooms so more can travel to the
colder room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Martik" wrote in message
news0dwh.18156$Y6.5601@edtnps89...
Bdrm A: 12x12' 2 exterior 2x4 walls, one with a 5' patio door double pane,
vinyl,

Bdrm B: 11x10' 1 exterior 2x4 walls with a 5' patio door double pane,
vinyl

Both A and B floors are over unheated garage but ceiling has R28

Bdrm C: 14x13' 2 exterior 2x4 walls, one with a 72"x34" low-e double pane,
vinyl, floor is over heated bsmt

I assume that the 2x4 walls are insulated since the rest of the house
seems to have R12

Attic is R40

Bdrm A is much colder than the others. The only reason I can think of is
the larger exterior wall space of A but then C also has a large space. Any
other ideas? Maybe part of the wall is not insulated. How can I test this?

Thanks

Check some of the obvious. Go up in the attic/crawl space, and see if
perhaps one of the connectors has come loose, or needs some taping. Foil
tape is inexpensive, easy to work with, and sticks good. You might be
surprised how many leaks you find. You can go up there and just turn the
fan on to feel for air flow.

Check and see if the louvers are open in each room . (duh, but I found one
the other day that was closed, and I have no idea why) See if there are any
gates in the ductwork that are closed/partially closed. Finally, as
suggested, adjust the louvers/controls in the other rooms to force more air
into that room.

These simple things may solve your problem. If not, you might have to put a
larger duct into that room. Even if it is badly insulated, if you force
enough hot air in there, it will FEEL warm, if only for a short time.
Sounds to me like a flow problem.

Let us know.

My house has radically uneven temps on the one heat pump. I need to get up
there some day and do the things I suggested to you. Yeah. Right. One of
these days when I have some spare time. ....................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Martik wrote:

Bdrm A: 12x12' 2 exterior 2x4 walls, one with a 5' patio door double pane,
vinyl,

Bdrm B: 11x10' 1 exterior 2x4 walls with a 5' patio door double pane, vinyl

Both A and B floors are over unheated garage but ceiling has R28

Bdrm C: 14x13' 2 exterior 2x4 walls, one with a 72"x34" low-e double pane,
vinyl, floor is over heated bsmt

I assume that the 2x4 walls are insulated since the rest of the house seems
to have R12

Attic is R40

Bdrm A is much colder than the others. The only reason I can think of is the
larger exterior wall space of A but then C also has a large space. Any other
ideas? Maybe part of the wall is not insulated. How can I test this?

Thanks

No way to know without information on how it's being heated. Forced hot
air? Hydronic baseboard? Electric baseboard? Radiant of some type?
Number of FHA vents? Length of baseboard? Zoning / thermostats?

Could be many things, particularly an unbalanced system as noted by
others.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Zu Zu is offline

Is it cold mostly near the patio door? I had a cold room with a patio
door installed by the previous owner. I pulled the trim off and found
no insulation betwen the stud and jamb. Just a thought.