Posted to alt.home.repair

Default we have no water...HELP

Hi we have a 300 foot deep well with a submersible pump, its
appoxiamately 85 feet from the well location to the under the house
hookup which has that blue can thing with the pressure gauge on it.

Now my brother in law did come and use a torch and banged on pipes and
had the water running some, but as soon as he left, the water
stopped.

This is OUR only water supply...

Who do we call? A plumber or well people?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 1:44 am, wrote:
Hi we have a 300 foot deep well with a submersible pump, its
appoxiamately 85 feet from the well location to the under the house
hookup which has that blue can thing with the pressure gauge on it.

Now my brother in law did come and use a torch and banged on pipes and
had the water running some, but as soon as he left, the water
stopped.

This is OUR only water supply...

Who do we call? A plumber or well people?

buffalo ny: we have city water, but here's some guessing:
if the water supply is located too close to the surface of the ground
instead of below the frost line it will freeze. if the pipes pass thru
a cold space on their way into the warm home they must be heated. if
you have a crawl space that is subject to wind chill and freezing
temperatures, i would look there first. some folks have a pump house
or shed at the top of the well where you can check some of the well
equipment and electricity for the pump. i would first check with your
neighbors to see how they may deal with this. then call both their
recommended plumber and your well company for their advice and a
service call. once you learn how the system works, post the servicing
directions and manuals for each component. when the water flow starts,
you must either heat the freezing pipe or waste a lot of it to keep it
moving so it won't freeze up again. wind is the enemy, snow is
sometimes a friendly windbreaker depending on how it drifts.
here's mo
http://www.ehow.com/how_117491_defrost-pipes.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 1:34 am, "buffalobill" wrote:
On Feb 6, 1:44 am, wrote:

[...]

And unless you can solve this by protecting the freezing spot,
relocating deeper, etc, then in future periods when you will have
these extreme temps, you can prevent it from freezing by periodically
drawing enough water to refill the lines with warmer ground water.
You can also leave a faucet running, but depending on where the freeze
point is, how long the run is, etc, it won't be as effective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 9:26 am, DK wrote:
On 5 Feb 2007 21:44:47 -0800, wrote:

Hi we have a 300 foot deep well with a submersible pump, its
appoxiamately 85 feet from the well location to the under the house
hookup which has that blue can thing with the pressure gauge on it.

Now my brother in law did come and use a torch and banged on pipes and
had the water running some, but as soon as he left, the water
stopped.

This is OUR only water supply...

Who do we call? A plumber or well people?

You should have left the water running so it wouldn't freeze back up.

Also, if the underground run is metal pipe, it can be thawed by a
welding service. With the right arc welding rig, they can hook onto
either end of the run and pass a current through it, which will heat
it enough to melt the ice. Can take a couple hours, but it does
work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 9:31 am, wrote:
On Feb 6, 9:26 am, DK wrote:

On 5 Feb 2007 21:44:47 -0800, wrote:

Hi we have a 300 foot deep well with a submersible pump, its
appoxiamately 85 feet from the well location to the under the house
hookup which has that blue can thing with the pressure gauge on it.

Now my brother in law did come and use a torch and banged on pipes and
had the water running some, but as soon as he left, the water
stopped.

This is OUR only water supply...

Who do we call? A plumber or well people?

You should have left the water running so it wouldn't freeze back up.

Also, if the underground run is metal pipe, it can be thawed by a
welding service. With the right arc welding rig, they can hook onto
either end of the run and pass a current through it, which will heat
it enough to melt the ice. Can take a couple hours, but it does
work.

Something nobody mentioned, it could be a stuck pressuretrol, try
banging on it and see if the pump starts working again. Its a pressure
switch, looks like a box, mounted on the tank with electrical wires
coming out of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 11:44 pm, wrote:
Hi we have a 300 foot deep well with a submersible pump, its
appoxiamately 85 feet from the well location to the under the house
hookup which has that blue can thing with the pressure gauge on it.

Now my brother in law did come and use a torch and banged on pipes and
had the water running some, but as soon as he left, the water
stopped.

This is OUR only water supply...

Who do we call? A plumber or well people?

Call a wellman and let him solve your problem. Thats how he makes his
living.. I recently had same experience. My well is 100 ft deep and
the pump is at bottom. the discharge pipe was PVC and the torque of
the pump over 13 yrs operation twisted the pipe off at the connection
to the pump. Pump ran but water was recirculating back in well..
Wellman
replaced discharge pipe and was done in an hour.